Life > Experiences

Fall To-Do List: Affordable Seasonal Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Whether you are preparing for Thanksgiving or Halloween, there are plenty of activities you can engage in to participate in the upcoming season. From family activities to individual, there are so many to choose from.

Turkey Hand Painting

I know it sounds silly, but turkey hand painting can be a fun activity. Grab some friends (or roommates), turn on some background music, and get started. All you need for the painting itself is paint, paper, and some brushes! For an added bonus, you can get creative and write things that you are thankful for on the fingers of your hand turkey. That way, it’s creative, and self-care. When you’re done, you can hang it up in your dorm or apartment and think of those wonderful memories every time you walk in the door!

Go for a Hot Girl Walk

It’s simple, doesn’t cost any money, and you can determine when you want to stop. Plus, you get your exercise in.

Create Your Own Halloween Decor

These were very simple and easy to make. 

You start with plastic small mason jars, squirt dish soap into the jars, and stick one or more of those ping pong balls with an eye on it. It creates the look of an eyeball floating in goo. 

I made this last year for Halloween and they were super cute and cheap. I bought all of it from Dollar General and only spent around $10.

Farmer’s Markets

Grab some friends and head to a farmer’s market. Most markets sell fruits, vegetables, and other fresh produce. They also will sell flowers or crafts as well. Occasionally, there’s even a singer or band. There is a little bit of everything for everyone. It is a way to get outside and interact with your community, as well as support small businesses and farmers. 

Scary Movie Marathon

This one is simple: turn the tv on, grab a big bowl of popcorn, and pick your favorite scary movie. Of course, you can buy other snacks as well (Swedish Fish are my go-to). I also would recommend fuzzy blankets or a snuggie, as well as fuzzy socks. Comfort is key. 

Football Games

As students, we get free tickets to all the home football games during the season. Use it to your advantage. It gives you something to do without any cost. Plus, you are supporting our wonderful football team. It allows you to meet new people and show school spirit!

Hello! My name is Rose Long and I am originally from Johnstown, Pennsylvania. In high school, I participated in cheerleading, dance, Mini-THON, and many other extracurricular activities. Graduating from Bishop McCort High School, I moved to Tampa, Florida this year to attend the University of South Florida. Right now, I am in the pre-architecture program, but I hope to get into the graduate program after my sophomore year. If I do get into the program, I will be in college for a total of six years and graduate with my master's degree. A few of my personal interests include reading, cheerleading, traveling, baking, fun earrings, drawing, volunteering, and more. My craziest pair of earrings are either my sharks or my dinosaurs. In the future, I want to explore other interests such as animal conservation or gardening.