sorority advice?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sorority advice?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / 20th Century Studios
Life > Experiences

Fall Rush, Is It Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Fall Rush. If you are not part of Greek life, you probably have no idea what I am talking about, but have no fear. I am here to tell you if going through primary recruitment in the fall is worth it or not and the do’s and don’ts of fall rush. This could be a guide for incoming freshmen who are looking to rush or non-affiliated students who want to get know more about the Greek life presence here at USF. I am here to tell you if it is worth it or not to join a sisterhood for a lifetime. 

USF has their primary recruitment season in the fall and consists of two weeks of the recruitment process. It is split into 2 weekends with the final day being “Bid Day”. Bid Day is the final day of recruitment where you open your bid to the sorority that has chosen you to join their organization. After you accept your bid (which you do not have to accept, you can decline) you then “run home” to the house you just joined in Greek Village. USF is home to 10 sororities which are Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Delta, Sigma Delta Tau, Sigma Kappa, and Zeta Tau Alpha. Each of these sororities have their own history and ritual that makes them different but they all fall under the Panhellenic Association which is their governing council. 

Chi Omega Throw What You Know
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

When I joined over a year ago, I knew that I always wanted to join a sorority but not for the parties or the boys, I wanted to have a community of women like minded and a good support system. Whether it be wanting to make new friends or getting out of your comfort zone or wanting to find more women like you, I think it is worth going through the fall rush. My motto is “what do you have to lose”? As long as you put yourself out there, you have nothing to lose. Some do’s and don’ts of fall rush is do not talk about boys, bars, or booze. Sorority girls know these as “BBB” but both parties should not be talking about any of those three things. Do talk about your accomplishments and what makes you different from any other girl. 

During recruitment, sororities are talking to over 100 girls a day and you want to make a chapter remember you. Don’t look bored or uninterested if a chapter is not for you. If you think a chapter is not for you and you still have a round, be sure to give them your full attention and respect. Do have fun and be yourself. Being yourself is the best thing you can do during rush. You shouldn’t have to diminish your own sparkle to fit in somewhere you won’t be accepted for your true self. I hope this guide helps you in deciding to participate in the fall rush! 

Good luck!

pre-law | writer | lover of the finer things