This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

While beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, our idea of beauty over the past few decades has most definitely been societally programmed. Looking through history shows that society’s beauty standards, although changing considerably over time, have always existed. 

With the help of BuzzFeed’s Ideal Body Types Throughout History,” video timeline we get a closer look at different body shapes throughout history.

BuzzFeed’s video demonstrates how beauty has evolved over the last 5,000 years. Not only is the video entertaining, it’s also enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking and I agree. I most certainly do not live up to all beauty standards out there, and I most certainly do not intend to.

As women, we have long since been expected to always be perfect.  And with this comes the evolution of beauty standards considering what’s perfect and what’s not.  

Body shapes and sizes come in and out of fashion like clothes and hairstyles. Worrying about how flawless your body is purposeless. How you feel about yourself is widely influenced by trends of time, rather than how you actually look.

I say: hold your head up high, be confident in yourself forget everything else and focus on being you. Because body acceptance will never get old.

Body shapes and beauty standards change over time—there is no stopping it. In life you should always strive to be the best version of yourself not what someone wants to be the best version of you.  Follow your passion, stay true to yourself and never follow society’s path for you.

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.