This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Emma Watson is perhaps most widely known for her work as Hermione in the Harry Potter series and with her recent role as Belle in Beauty and The Beast, there’s no slowing down in her acting career. Aside from being an actress, Watson has been in the media for her women’s rights activism, as well.

Over the years, Watson has been seen advocating for women’s rights in the UN and has been awarded a number of prestigious positions including Feminist Celebrity of 2014.

Watson is back in the news, but unfortunately, she is being criticized this time. Critics are chastising Watson for one of her pictures from a recent Vanity Fair Photoshoot.

The photo causing the noise shows Watson in a revealing ropey top by Burberry. It was one of the pictures that accompanied her Vanity Fair interview that talks “about her metamorphosis from child star to leading woman.”

Critics are questioning if the photo matches up with what Watson is fighting for. They’re accuse her of being hypocritical.

This situation brings up a couple questions, such as what is the true definition of feminism? Is there a clear definition?

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a Nigerian Novelist and an impassioned feminist, who was featured on Beyonce’s track “Flawless,” defines a feminist as “a person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.” This seems to be the general perception of what feminism is. In response to the critiques, Watson defined feminism as a freedom of choice.

“Feminism is about giving women choice. Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with. It’s about freedom. It’s about liberation. It’s about equality.” Watson said during an interview.

Are critics right to call out Watson for her shoot?

What is your definition of feminism? Does Watson’s picture counter what she stands for?

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.