Hero Image
Hero Image
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The future of our nation depends on your vote! The 2020 Presidential election is coming up this November, so it is crucial that you make sure to cast your ballot in these upcoming months! In the United States, you must be 18 years of age and a U.S. Citizen in order to hit the polls. Some states also have two additional rules: you cannot be a felon or mentally incompetent. President Donald Trump is the Republican nominee going up against former Vice President Joe Biden representing the Democratic Party. In 2016, Donald Trump defeated Democrat Hillary Clinton to become the current President by a narrow margin, having won the electoral college while Hillary Clinton won the national popular vote by nearly three million votes.

People standing inside of blue material voter polls
Photo by Morning Brew from Unsplash

There were three Presidential debates throughout September and October, and one Vice Presidential debate held on October 7th. The General Election will be held on November 3rd. You can cast your vote in person, through a mail-in ballot, or absentee ballot. The difference between absentee ballots and voting by mail is absentee ballots are requested by those who are unable to vote in person. Mail-in ballots are put into place when new policies are enforced that allow all people to vote by mail. The deadline to request a ballot to vote by mail in the state of Florida was on October 24th, while in-person voting began on that day; deadlines vary among different states. If you’re voting by mail, make sure that all of your personal information is correct and on the ballot. If you accidentally put down the wrong zip code or you omit an apartment number, chances are your vote may not be counted. This year everyone can place a vote from the safety of their home due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

election ballot with red and blue masks
Photo by Tiffany Tertipes from Unsplash

Every vote counts! It’s important that you take part in every presidential election and stay informed! The premise of a Democracy is that the government is ruled by the people for the people. That’s why it is very important to participate in elections so you can have your say in who is elected for each political position. This is one of the privileges of being an American!

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Participating in general elections is a freedom not available to everyone in the world; therefore, it’s important to exercise your right and participate in our nation’s elections. Some people take the right to vote for granted. Make sure you take advantage of this opportunity and make your vote count.

My name is Sidney Burone and I am a 4th year Communication major at the University of South Florida! I have a very big passion for the arts and hope to one day work for a radio station!! I love giving back and supporting others in any way that I can. I am super excited for the future and hope you enjoy my writings!
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!