Don’t Forget About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It’s almost midterm time at most colleges and universities around the nation, and that can be a very stressful time for many college students while also dealing with the many responsibilities of being an almost adult or young-adult. With assignments piling up and exams around the corner collegiates may feel like there is no time to take a minute to care for themselves but during this time it crucial to remember to take care of yourself not just physically but emotionally and mentally. It is important to implement some kind of self-care whenever you deem fit. Many studies have found that taking to relax out of your actually increases productivity, job performance, health, and even creativity.

One thing that is important to remember about self-care is the “self” component, don’t let people tell how this looks like because it is different for everyone. Whether that be just taking a minute out of your day to stop and just breathe or just treating yourself for lunch, going to the gym, or whatever that looks like it’s whatever you like. Just remember to make sure they aren’t self-destructive like drinking 8 cups of coffee and deciding that’s self-care because that is actually the opposite. It is super important to relax and stop for a minute especially during times of stress.

Sophomore at the University of South Florida. Mass communications major international studies minor. Pop culture lover, avid music listener, extreme lover of food. Living life one day at a time.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.