Dealing With A Long-Distance Relationship With Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

In college, it is common to know people with significant others in different cities, states, and even countries. While this type of long distance relationship is likely very difficult, nobody really talks about how hard it is to survive a long distance relationship with your best friend.

Unfortunately, college breaks apart a lot of high school friendships. People grow apart and move out of state, and this is a natural part of life; however, if you are like me, you remained close with at least one friend from high school. In my case, my best friend lives in Montgomery, Alabama. This separation has without a doubt created some challenges for us. From being inseparable in high school to surviving freshman, and now most of sophomore year of college alone has proven to be quite the challenge.

Photo courtesy of reddit.com

Some of the problems that this distance creates include not being able to see each other in person very often, the inevitable jealousy that occurs when she becomes close friends with someone else, and the ever-growing issue of not having much time to communicate like you once did.

Another problem that arises is that college can bring about what seems like the end of life as we know it. In my case, the “end of the world” was actually just the end of a relationship, and as dramatic as that now seems to me, all that I wanted then was to see my best friend.

Photo courtesy of sayingimages.com

How did we survive this distance thus far?

It has not been easy. From me becoming jealous of her new roommate (I mean really, stop making her laugh so much or she will surely forget about me) to her not having much time to chat with a busy soccer schedule, this friendship has been more difficult than the smooth sailing of high school friendship.

Through this, though, we have found ways to make it work. I have to constantly remind myself that even though she has close friends there, it does not make our friendship mean any less important. We have also found that we have to make time for each other to talk on the phone, and we have yet to have a day where we have no communication whatsoever.

Also, going on a trip to see your BFF after a long time can make it feel even more special.Photo courtesy of Ashton Prater

A simple text asking how your friend is can be all it takes to keep your connection. Most importantly, remember that distance is not permanent. After all, there is always spring break and summer vacation, so make sure that you do not write off your friendship as hopeless.

Another tip: a giant picture frame of the two of you together will let the new roommate know who her real ‘BFF 4 Life’ is. Photo courtesy of YourTango

I am a Junior at USF majoring in English and aspiring to write something that people enjoy reading. My hobbies are watching New Girl and That 70s Show on repeat, eating good food, and sleeping.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.