Cultural Appropriation: What’s the Big Deal?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Cultural appropriation has been a hot topic lately. Music artists, fashion designers, bloggers and movie stars have all been called out for committing the faux paus. But what exactly is cultural appropriation, and why is it such a big deal?

EverydayFeminism defines cultural appropriation as “somebody adopt[ing] aspects of a culture that’s not their own.”

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. You might be wondering why adopting aspects of another cultures is wrong. I mean, I love dream catchers, and I learned about Native Americans around Thanksgiving in grade school, so no harm, no foul, right?

Wrong. 

Cultural appropriation often includes a power dynamic. When someone of a more dominant culture (keep in mind, dominance does not always mean numbers in population – it also means who or what is the norm, or represented more in our society) takes bits and pieces from others’ cultures and religions, and wears it as a cool trend, it’s offensive and problematic. Often times, people who don’t fit neatly into cultural norms are bullied and ridiculed for their customs, cultures and religions. One cannot separate themselves from the oppression or scornfulness that accompanies their religion or culture, but if you can – you’re likely appropriating it.

Let’s delve deeper with a few examples.

The bindi: Bindis are forehead decorations worn by women in South Asia, Southeast Asia, North Africa, and East Africa along with Hindu women. Normally a red dot, bindis do come in other colors, and hold special meanings. If someone does not originate from any of these areas, and is not a follower of the Hindu religion, it is inappropriate and disrespectful to wear a Bindi because it is thought of as “cute” or “cool.” This is particularly true when considering women were mocked and harassed for wearing their Bindis in the wake of 9/11 due to Islamophobia and other forms of hate.

Dreadlocs: Dreads, locs or dreadlocs are a staple hairstyle of those in the Rastafari Movement. Beginning in Jamaica; the Rasta movement, as they prefer to not be referred to as a religious group, sought to provide a voice for the poor black people in Jamaica. The loc hairstyle is a result of letting ones twisted hair grow freely as a form of resistance to European beauty standards and centralized authority. If someone is not a Rasta or a descendent of the African diaspora, then it is not appropriate to wear this hairstyle, because simply put: it was not created for you or with you in mind.

Now, what if someone does not mean to appropriate? Just because intentions are good, does not make the action is less problematic. So on Halloween, music fests, or before using AAVE (African-American Vernacular), think: am I doing this because it is part of who I am, or because I think it is cool? Will I still want to wear this or speak this way twenty years from now? The answer may surprise you.

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.