Crosswinds: A place to learn, love and connect.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Whether you live off campus on in a dorm, have a job, or are taking an insane amount of credits per semester, every student will, at some point, find themselves sitting in their room thinking “I’m bored, there’s nothing to do around here!” Sometimes it’s true, but most of the time it just means we haven’t really explored the resources that are available to us at USF. Finding something to do when you’re bored is much like finding a job: it’s all about who you know… but what if you don’t know anyone?

In college, particularly if you are an introvert, making friends can be difficult, because meeting people is easy but meeting people that share your likes, dislikes, interests, and most importantly, values, is far from it. The clubs and organizations at USF offer a ton of opportunities to socialize and make friends, but they aren’t always advertised enough. One of those organizations, Crosswinds, just started hosting weekly small group Bible study sessions to help students meet new people, connect, and learn, and also offers a weekly service on Thursday nights. Crosswinds, located on Sycamore Drive right across the street from the new football practice field, welcomes all students regardless of their religious beliefs.

The program leader, Jennifer, is as bubbly, fun and welcoming as a person can be and says that Crosswinds is a great place for anyone who wants to make friends, and learn about Christian religion in the process. The small groups meet weekly, and there are five of them: a co-ed group, an all-male group, and the rest are all-female. The groups meet for roughly an hour during which they read verses and discuss them to figure out their meaning. And, like at the end of every college related gathering, there are free snacks.

Bible study lessons may not be everyone’s idea of fun, but Crosswinds mission statement is that it “exists to show the loving kindness of Jesus to USF and beyond” and this month they have certainly focused on the ‘beyond’ part through a fundraiser to fight against sex trafficking. The event involved a big BBQ and watching the USF vs. Temple game: if you’re a sports fan, a human rights fan, or a food fan, Crosswinds has something to offer, even if you’re not entirely on board with the religious side of the organization. The idea behind Crosswinds is to help students find their place in the world, and in turn, have those students help others,

The important thing to keep in mind is that you can’t write something off without trying it first (unless it’s potentially deadly). For example, joining a gym just because the instructor is hot may not seem like the best idea, but at the end of the day you get to look at a cute guy AND get fit in the process. At Crosswinds, whether you’re looking for something to do, new people to socialize with, actually want to learn about the Bible, or are just there for the food, you’re still going to get something out of the whole experience and walk out a better person for it.

Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.