Wellness

College Students Take on Surviving Cold and Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It has come to my attention that Christmas time is not a season of cheer, but a season of the cold and flu. Many of my classmates have been sick with varying degrees of the common cold along with others like bronchitis, strep throat, and the flu. As finals roll around, this means that many of their friends and classmates were not able to help them and they were left alone to deal with their sickness. In an attempt to make this season a bit more jolly, I reached out to them asking for the best advice that they can give to someone who is sick on their own.

The following advice is not given by medical professional, nor should it be your sole course of action. Please visit your local clinic for more specific treatment.

“Drink plenty of fluids. Especially warm drinks like teas or coffee. I microwave a cup of water and then put a bag of tea in it for a quick drink. If you do not have tea, you can always put fruit in the water to add flavor.” -Joy, Sophomore, University of South FloridaPhoto courtesy of Eco-Savy

“I find that what helps me most is working from bed. I put on my warm PJ’s and socks and play‘The Office’ while working on my homework or studying. The key is to take your time with your work so that its less stressful but you still get stuff done.” -Miles, Junior, New College of Florida

Photo courtesy of The Odyssey Online

“I like calling my mom when I am sick. She always helps me feel better about how much work I am not getting done while sick and sometimes she even sends me cute care packages.” –Michelle, Senior, University of Central Florida

“Honestly? I like to sleep. I take nap breaks between lectures” –Nancy, Freshman, Florida Atlantic University

“I like to take long hot showers and then get in bed and binge watch Netflix. When I finally get the energy, I get up and start doing my work, but honestly, I feel like when I am sick my sleep schedule gets too wack. As long as I get work done and attend my lectures, I will sleep whenever and work until early morning. It is whatever works best, man.” –Nick, Sophomore, University of South Florida

“I think I big part of working through getting healthy on your own is relaxing, and accept that you cannot make every meeting, or that you might miss class. If you need to sleep in, do it. Let your professors know what is going on. They are people too and they will most likely be understanding” –Sam, Senior, Florida State University 

“Ramen. Cheap and fast, but also amazing” –Mia, Junior, Florida State University

Photo courtesy of Reddit

“I like to spoil myself with face masks and self care. Nothing better to get you on track like a relaxing day” – Natalie, Sophomore, Florida Atlantic University

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

I am a 19-year-old student majoring in Psychology and World languages on the Pre-medical track. Writing has been a passion of mine ever since I moved to America eight years ago. My other hobbies include pageantry, I just crowned the new reigning Miss Teen Palm Beach America, and cooking. A fun fact about me is that I speak three languages fluently (Russian, Hebrew, and English) and I am a Wiccan. My background inspires my writing and plays a role in my approaches to certain topics.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.