Chic Pumpkin Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The jack-o-lantern is so over done these days! Mix it up with some of these chic pumpkins that are sure to make your fall décor look fabulous without going over budget. These ideas are easy to do and don’t even require the messy gutting of the pumpkin. Let’s get started!

Puffy Paint

Who said puffy paints could only be used to make fun shirts? Get crafting on a pumpkin with whatever design you want. You could use puffy paints to make a pumpkin with all of your roommates’ names to add to your common area’s décor. Just be sure to give it plenty of dry time so it doesn’t smudge or get on any of your other decorations.

Permanent Markers

If you don’t have puffy paint or just don’t want to buy a bottle for one project; permanent markers make for fun designs and take very little dry time. If you going for an intricate design a permanent maker is probably the best tool because it gives you the most control. In our example we also added a little bedazzle for extra detail.

Fun Faces

Make a new roommate! If carving is too messy for you, get creative and make a detailed face with make up or paint. You can make a classy girl, give her a name and some accessories, and have a conversation piece for the season! If you really want to commit, you can change the makeup and accessories daily to give her a fresh look and see how often people notice the change.

Glitter

If you love a little glitter in your life, add some to a pumpkin to make your décor really sparkle. You can go anywhere with a glitter design from all over the pumpkin to fun designs by adding glue to where ever you want glitter to stick. 

Polka Dots

Polka dots create a fun pop of color on almost anything, including pumpkins. Polka dots can be done with almost any kind of paint. For our example we used nail polish and a q-tip, but you could also use regular paint, puffy paint, a permanent marker, glitter, make up, or whatever you might have laying around that you can write with.

The Drizzle

This idea came from the excitement of crayon art, but instead of crayons we used nail polish. If you like the marble look on your nails you will love it on a pumpkin. Pour the nail polish in a circle and let it drizzle down the sides. Use a couple colors and watch the layering effect it makes. Be sure to have a couple paper towels or newspaper underneath your pumpkin so you don’t ruin the surface you’re working on. 

These are all easy to do and can be done on large or small pumpkins, so what are you waiting for? Get crafting!

I am an editorial writer for Her Campus USF!