This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Alright, I have a confession to make, I’m a scaredy cat when it comes to Halloween. I love the concept of Halloween, with smiling pumpkins, creative costumes, and happy children overloaded with sugar. I am terrified of scary movies, while only seeing a handful in my life, with my hands covering my face the whole time anyways. Sometimes I even google the Wikipedia articles for scary movies, reading the plots so I don’t feel left out. 

As a Floridian, Halloween also signifies the beginning of Howl-O-Scream and Halloween Horror Nights, staples at theme parks during this time of year. I live vicariously through my friends, asking them about their experiences at the various scare houses. Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween is much more my speed. 

I’ve accepted my limits, but I still enjoy Halloween. Here are some of the ways that I enjoy a not-so-spooky season. 

Watch Halloween Movies

While I don’t watch scary movies, I am a sucker for Halloween movies. For instance, I love The Nightmare Before Christmas, and I watch it every Halloween. I also love to watch Twilight and the Harry Potter series which fits the vibe with supernatural beings, but not scary. Overall, I love to watch classic Halloween/Halloween-adjacent movies to get me in the festive spirit, and there’s a lot of them that aren’t scary. 

Enjoy (and Share) Halloween Treats

I think we can all agree that the best part about holidays is the Pillsbury Holiday cookies that come out every year. I love the cookies that have a ghost on them, they’re so cute! Additionally, I love Halloween candy and I love passing candy out to the kids in the neighborhood, wanting to see all the cute costumes every year. 

Overall, Halloween sometimes can be known for being scary, but there are numerous ways you can celebrate the holiday without being scared. As a self-proclaimed scaredy-cat, Halloween still remains one of my favorite holidays. 

Hi! My name is Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Florida majoring in marketing and integrated PR and advertising. I'm a proud, communicative Gemini, who is excited to share on Her Campus! Some of my interests include watching movies (I consider myself an 80's movie aficionado), listening to music, going to concerts, and following hockey.