This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Cardi B, rapper of “Bodak Yellow” and “I Like It,” has proven once again that she ‘don’t give a f%#& ‘bout who ain’t fond of her.’ A couple of days ago, the artist posted a blatantly transphobic  and popular meme to her Facebook page that has been flooding social media lately containing a screencap from the old TV show “Ed, Edd n Eddy.” Within the meme someone had captioned it “I hope nobody see this tr***y leave my house” with the character peeping out the window cautiously. Cardi reposted this picture to Facebook, where her page has over six million followers and over five million likes.

Photo courtesy of The Fader

This is not the first time Cardi B has been called out for being openly transphobic. In 2017, a video surfaced of her talking about how she would trick her cheating boyfriend into having a threesome with someone trans by relying on slurs to get her point across. In a world where tolerance for diversity is constantly fluctuating, the comments made and her attempt at sharing a joke only further implied that trans people are intentionally deceptive, and anything involving them is something to be ashamed of and joked about.

There are always going to be people that claim that it is “only a joke” and that “people are too sensitive” but there are countless instances of LGBTQ+ folks being killed and harassed simply for their identity and sexuality. In fact, trans people have a life expectancy of between 30-35 years old because they are being targeted, murdered, or shamed and bullied to the point of suicide.

Photo courtesy of Longreads 

The post on her Facebook page was deleted or hidden shortly after, but the damage has already been done. When confronted about her previous uses of transphobic slurs, Cardi simply retorted that she had grown up with trans friends who used those terms, which still in itself is no excuse, and that people should educate her instead of labeling her as transphobic; however, it is clear that neither of those options have worked since she continues to make comments like this. Although she may not have created the meme herself, sharing it, especially to her official Facebook page, is a reflection of who she is and what her beliefs are. She is still incredibly disrespectful and harmful to the trans community.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest

What else is upsetting about this is that if Cardi had made a comment attacking and stereotyping another oppressed group, she would have faced even more backlash and her career would have suffered more. Because her comments were about trans people, the least protected of the LGBTQ+ community, it was easier for people to move past it quicker and quietly hope she did not make the same mistake.

As a society, we need to do better with making people responsible for their actions. People with large platforms should not be excused just because they are famous, and this is a prime example. Only when justice is served and accountability is held is when we can progress as a society.

Chioneso is a junior at the University of South Florida, with a major in Mass Communications and a concentration in Integrated Public Relations and Advertising. Her hobbies lie in exploring new places, foods and activities, as well as capturing/editing photos and videos.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.