This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Meet Brian Neuman, a mechanical engineering student at USF!

Her Campus: Where are you from?

Brian Neuman: Tampa, Florida.

HC: Why did you choose USF?

BN: The education I’m getting for the financial cost of it is of great value. USF is very generous with admissions scholarships and staying in-state was the best option for me. I grew up in Tampa so the area is familiar. My mom graduated from USF last year so I knew that I would get an excellent education here.  

HC: What inspired you to choose engineering as your career path?

BN: My dad has a strong science background, so that definitely influenced me while growing up.  I went to a STEM magnet high school as part of the engineering program, and joined Middleton Robotics, which helped me practice real world application and think like an engineer. You can learn the equations and concepts, but you have to think like an engineer, which is something you can only learn from experience and by practicing open ended problems instead of just something given to you.

HC: What organizations are you involved with on  campus?

BN: I’m in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and mentor the Middleton Robotics. I also live in the Engineering Living Learning Community.

HC: What are the advantages of living in the Engineering LLC?

BN: You are always with people who are taking the same or similar classes, so it’s easy for us to help each other. Engineering isn’t always easy, so we’re all in the same boat.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

BN:  Mechanical engineering is a very broad degree that can lead to many completely different jobs in many different companies. So predicting what I want, let alone where I’ll actually be is very difficult. I only hope that it’s somewhere good!

Proud to be a USF Bull! Passions include binge watching TV shows, Pinterest, cute gym clothes, acquiring as much lipstick as possible, and trying to be a better person everyday.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.