samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Blogging 101: Some tips from the pros

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Trying to start a blog can be a daunting task. Trying to start a succesful blog is even more so. Whether you are in public relations or any major, there are a few rules to follow when it comes to creating a blog that stands out. 

Ron Culp, Instructor and Progessional Director, at DePaul University runs the blog “Culpwrit”. Anne Waddington, Client Enablement Manager at Springbuk, loves running her beauty blog. This duo shared some quick tips and rules at the PRSSA 2016 National Conference on how to stay on top with your blog. So grab your pens and get ready to take some notes.

1. Plan ahead- Make sure to gather your thoughts before you open your brand to the world. Plan by also researching mediums on which your blog can be posted. Are you going to set money aside for it? How much? (It is recommended you do so.) What are you going to post about?

2. Seek inspiration but don’t copy-  It is really cool to post about Kylie’s latest Lip Kits, but what is going to make your blog different from other beauty gurus? Find that unique aspect that represents your brand and what you have to offer.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                ” I know, who has an original thought in 2016? You really can be unique, even if the market is saturated,” Waddington said. 

3. Become An Expert- Become an expert on your subject! Put in the time to do the research! If not, you will run out of ideas quickly and your blog will flop. Also, spend some time researching how to operate your blog and digital media. The more work you put in, the better. 

4. Test and Commitment- Try to come up with at least 150 ideas that you can blog about! You might want to do some more research if you come up with less. Also, share your ideas and blog posts with your mom (or parental figure) and your best friend. Nobody else should see these. These two people will give you honest feedback and provide the best perspectives because they understand your brand the best!  

5. Invest In Your Blog- As mentioned in the first step, put some money into your blog! If you are trying to make a career out of this or get noticed professionally, this is a MUST! Invest time into your blog! For a truly successful blog, you should treat this as a part-time job. (10-15 hours) It will be obvious in your work, and professionals will notice.

6. Personal Branding- Discover who you are and what you are trying to market about yourself! The more defined, the more likely you will be remembered and followed!

7. Be Authentic- Again, be yourself! If you mimic another blog, you are just helping saturate the market!

8. Connect and Engage- Respond to evertyhing. Readers are your support system. Engage them with questions and comments!

9. Experiment- Once you start writing and posting, you may get bored with the topic after a while. Avoid boredom by trying new things and stretching yourself, once you are established.

10. Finally avoid haters-Don’t second guess yourself or your blog. As T. Swift says, shake it off.

• Other general tips for success:

• Track your traffic from day one. Make friends with Google Analytics

• Keep it short and sweet.

• Have fun!

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.