This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I never realized the influence that people around you have on your decisions and opinions. And I want to emphasize the word people, I am not talking about your friends. Studying abroad has been an amazing experience and I have loved every minute of it, but I have never been more lost in my life. I’m a psychology major but all of my roommates are majoring in art, fashion, or communication. Before declaring my minor as nutrition, I wanted to do art history but what could I possibly do with an art history minor? Back home all of my close friends are doing something with engineering, medicine, or architecture. Of course, I feel the pressure of wanting to do something in STEM. But now… I’m surrounded by people who are in the arts and I go to an arts school. I’m officially lost.

We’re always told that we don’t have to have everything figured out by the time we get to college or even finish college. But there’s a sense of comfort knowing what you want to do with your life and knowing how to do it. Now I’m sitting here wondering how I can mix my passion for psychology with my hobbies of art and writing. Is that even possible? It has to be. I admire my roommates for wanting to work on magazines, design clothes, and promote concerts. It’s so different from what I’m used to. Everyone back home is doing something that is one, going to make them a lot of money and two, take a lot of years to complete. I have never seen my friends cry so much from their passion and I have never seen people, in this case my roommates, smile so hard from completing 8 hours of drawing or 5 hours of graphic design planning. Yes, there is frustration with any job, but the enjoyment is different.

I’m sure a lot of college students have a decision to make about whether they should go the route that makes them a lot of money or go the route that makes them happy. Few are lucky and have both, but the decision still isn’t easy. I know psychology is what I want to do but I enjoy writing, learning languages, art history, and traveling. Why do I put so much pressure on myself to not pursue those things? I just hit the jackpot with my dream career requiring nine years of school. I just don’t understand why the main focus for a career is to make sure you’re successful. What’s success if you don’t enjoy what you’re doing? What’s the point of going through all of those years of education and years of experience if you don’t enjoy the job?

It takes a certain type of person to become a doctor, lawyer, or architect but it also takes a certain type of attitude to become a writer, graphic designer, or artist. All can become CEOs, have their own businesses and be successful. But the people going for careers in the arts are going against everyone telling them they won’t make money or be successful. I don’t know if I’m burnt out, afraid of the amount of schooling I have left, or afraid to take the gamble on a career. I really just don’t know. 

Hi! I'm a junior with a psych major and a nutrition minor. I love to travel and meet new people. Feel free to follow me on instagram! @gabyytovarr