This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

How does a pirate know they’re a pirate? They think, therefore they “arrrrrr.” Or in the case of any girl going to college in Tampa, Gasparilla! 

For those unaware, Tampa natives are well familiar with the Gasparilla Pirate Festival.  Since 1904, on the last weekend of every January, ships sail into Tampa Bay carrying fanciful pirate crews. The invasion begins at 11:30 AM and concludes at 1:30 PM, but the festivities don’t end there. A parade of pirates takes to the streets from 2 PM until 6 PM, representing the best of Tampa’s community, throwing beads and other goodies into an eager (and intoxicated) crowd. There are, of course, two parades, one being a children’s parade typically the weekend before the invasion since Gasparilla is known to be an event for grown adults, to say the least. 

As someone who grew up in Tampa going to the children’s parade and eventually the real Gasparilla from my teenage years on, I can say it is truly one of my favorite events of the year! Being in college and going to Gasparilla is a particularly exciting experience, because what else would a girl from the ages 18-22 do on a Saturday morning but play dress-up as a cute pirate and go out with her friends? Last weekend marked my third year attending the festivities as a college student, so with some experience under my belt I thought it would be a good idea to share, because while it can be fun if done right, it’s very easy to get Gasparilla wrong. 

Two women (me and my roommate) stand on our balcony laughing for a picture in pirate outfits.
Photo by Jasmine Rosario

First thing’s first: it is very important to have a set group of people you’re going with and a plan for the day, from waking up, to transportation to Bayshore Boulevard, to a way home. I can’t count the number of times friends have sworn to me we’d meet up at the parade itself only for it to be impossible. Even this year, my roommates and I drove with separate groups and swore to find each other. My group parked relatively close to them and it still took over an hour to find them because of the crowds. Imagine your friends drunkenly trying to find you amongst crowds of people all dressed in the same pirate getup, all while your phone is dying and you’re missing the parade. Not fun. That being said, the people you leave your house with are the only friends you’re guaranteed to see all day. 

Another important tip: lock in transportation as early as you can. Gasparilla is an event known for consumption of alcohol (only if you’re 21!) and Ubers are nearly impossible to get last second, not to mention they take forever with the closed roads, traffic, and various other issues. If at all possible, figure out who amongst your group of friends could be a sober and reliable method of transportation. There are plenty of garages and lots to park in, though most aren’t free. Still, they’re way cheaper than an Uber. I also suggest bringing cash, my friend who drove us this year ran into a problem with parking because we only had half the money in cash and our parking attendant wouldn’t take Venmo or any other cash apps. 

Probably the most fun part of the entire event is dressing up. Gasparilla outfits are always vastly different, ranging from people who dress in Tampa Bay colors (red and black), to “sexy” pirates, to people who go all out in accurate costumes. My biggest tip when it comes to picking an outfit is to check the weather. Florida weather this time of year is often very unpredictable, and outfits often come down to whether or not you’ll be cold in whatever you pick. The first two years I was in college it was chilly the day of the parade, which made me miserable because I never picked an outfit accurate to the weather. This year, I waited until a few days before to make sure I would be comfortable, and it was very warm. I also strongly suggest thrifting pieces of your outfit. Because Gasparilla is an event that takes place one day out of the year, it isn’t sustainable to Amazon an entire outfit, no matter how cute it is. Most people are likely to get rid of their outfits immediately after, or just store them until the next year. Therefore, I’d suggest thrifting as a cheaper alternative and since the theme is pretty flexible. Many of the thrift shops in the area such as Uptown Cheapskate have whole sections dedicated to pieces you could wear to Gasparilla. This year I got most of my outfit and accessories from thrifting. 

I stand in the mirror of my room displaying my outfit for Gasparilla.
Photo by Jasmine Rosario

My last and probably most important tip is to practice having safe fun! Gasparilla is an event where risky or dangerous behavior isn’t uncommon. Only drink if you’re over the age of 21, make sure no one is drinking and driving, protect your uncovered/open drinks, and make sure to stick with your group of people! Sticking to these tips are sure to make your Gasparilla enjoyable, and I can’t wait til next year’s parade!

Hi! My name is Jasmine Rosario and I am a pre-law Sociology major with minors in political science and philosophy. I'm passionate about mental health, politics, and the way that people interact with one another. I love reading, writing, and talking to people about literally anything.