6 Things I Learned Being a College Student in a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

When I imagined my college experience, a pandemic was never on my list. When the pandemic hit, everything was turned upside down. Suddenly all the activities on campus were being put on hold, I was moving back home, and all my classes were online. Despite the chaos that arose and is still continuing, there were some valuable lessons that I learned.

Mental Health Matters

This is a concept that isn’t new to me, but I find myself learning and re-learning as I work through school. There’s this constant cycle that so many students can relate to where you put school before your mental health, then your mental health suffers, then your school suffers because your mental health is suffering, wash, rinse, repeat. It’s not a fun cycle. Prioritize your mental health and find the resources you need so you don’t fall into that cycle. Grades are temporary, but your health and well-being will forever be with you. 

dark building with a sign that says \"how are you really doing?\"
Photo by Des Récits from Unsplash
Taking Breaks is Okay

Taking lots of online classes, it’s sometimes really easy to get caught up and spend all day in front of your laptop. While “the grind never stops” is a fun mantra to crack with your friends, sometimes it’s okay for the grind to take a break. Whether the break is to take a walk, ride your bike, get a coffee, or scroll through TikTok, breaks are absolutely necessary and a helpful tool in preventing burn-out.

It’s Okay Not to Get A 100 On Every Assignment 

Before my mom and dad freak out on reading this, I want to preface this with something. I am a serial perfectionist and will sometimes work way harder than necessary on an assignment. Should I be putting two hours of effort into a five-point assignment? Probably not. Yes, you obviously want to strive for the best grade you can, but you shouldn’t be overworking yourself for an assignment. Do what you can, but don’t freak out over the tiniest details. I promise your grades will still be okay. 

Talk to Your Professors

My disclaimer on this one is that not all professors are the same. It varies from person to person. But one of the best things I’ve done these past two semesters is learn to communicate more with my professors. It’s a lot harder to do this when you’re taking their class virtually, but a quick email will absolutely do. If you need help, they’re there to help you. 

Sunlight Is Absolutely Necessary

Humans need Vitamin D. That is just a fact. With online classes taking up a majority of the schedule, it can be hard to find the sunshine that you desperately need. Even just doing a quick walk from your front door to the mailbox can be beneficial to get some sun and fresh air. The best thing I’ve done is move my working location to a desk by the window. Letting the natural light in while I work not only lessens the effects of the blue light from my laptop but also is relaxing. Another pro tip: invest in a hammock and find a good place to hang out. My double hammock has gotten more use this past year than ever before. 

desk with sunlight streaming in with a lamp and notebooks on the desk
Photo by Dagny Reese from Unsplash
Virtual Hangouts Can Be Just As Fun as In-Person

Last semester I was doing all my classes virtually from home. While I don’t live far away from Tampa (just a two-hour trip down I4), the pandemic kinda made it hard to make in-person hangouts a reality. Even with organizations, I’m a part of on-campus (like Her Campus), we were limited to only virtual meetings. Despite these limitations, you can have just as much fun. Having a PowerPoint night with your friend group, group watch Disney+ with your best girls, even virtual study dates make coping with the pandemic a whole lot better. While in-person interaction can’t be replaced, virtual hangouts can still be a good time.

Alexa Hilston is a student at the University of South Florida majoring in elementary education and minoring in communications. In addition to being a member of Her Campus at USF, Alexa also is social media manager for USF Hockey and vice president of PUCKerUp Sports. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, going to Disney, creating content, hammocking, and drinking water.
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!