5 Ways To Get Over Your Coffee Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I am a self diagnosed coffee addict. I drink way too much coffee. I am not talking a morning cup of joe, then maybe one around the afternoon slump. I am talking a cup of black coffee in the morning, some iced coffee an hour later, another expresso two hours later, throw in a caramel macchiato around dinner time, then finish it off with two more lattes before I crash around 3 A.M. I am a busy person, always looking for more and more energy to get through the day. Luckily, I discovered some healthier alternatives to chugging copious amounts of coffee on the reg.

1.     Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night!

Considering we are all in college and the likelihood of getting a full 9 hours is slim to none, getting at least seven hours in a night can make a tremendous difference for the remainder of the day.

2.   Exercise!

Walking to class might shed some sweat, but going to the gym at least 3 times a week can significantly improve how awake and alert you feel! Especially if you decide to go in the morning to jump start your day.

3.   Chew lots of gum!

Not only is gum healthy for your breath and teeth but it can also invigorate your body, making you more energetic naturally. Chewing gum can even increase your mood. For the best effects, try peppermint flavored.

4.  Go outside and get some sun!

Have you ever spent all day in bed with the blinds closed and wondered why you could sleep for about 58 hours straight? It’s because your body is lacking the proper sunlight it needs to be fully awake. Your body responds to natural sunlight by triggering alertness.

5. Blast music and sing along!

Yes, this is an actual way to feel less tired and fatigued. If you wake up in the morning and blast music, while physically singing along, you’re less likely to be sluggish during the day. Even if you need a mid afternoon pick me up, put on some Drake and T-Swift and belt your heart out. 

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.