5 Ways to Defeat Homesickness While on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It’s been two or three weeks since classes have started and you’re starting to get into the swing of things. But then, this mysterious feeling overcomes you. You begin to desperately miss your mom’s home cooking and the friend you left back at home. This is homesickness- and it is totally normal. Have no fear Collegiette, we have come up with five simple ways to get rid of those homesickness blues.

1.    Get to Know Your Roommate

The two of you are going to be spending lots of time with each other, and its best if you get along. By connecting with your roommate the both of you will end up with a support system to stand behind you. You have an instant best friend to do anything and everything with, which will make you feel a bit more at home on campus.

2.    Use Your Social Media

The awesome thing about going to college in this decade is being able to stay connected. Yes, social media can be used to do more than stalk your new crush. Reach out to your friends through Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or any other social media platform you use. And don’t forget to call your Grandma, she would love to hear from you.

3.    Join a Club (or two or three…)

The important thing to remember, though, is to make sure you don’t overload or overcommit yourself to too many activities. And while it’s great to step out of your comfort zone, you should try to avoid activities that make you feel uncomfortable. There are plenty of clubs and organiazations to join on campus, so there are bound to be a couple that are right up your alley!

4.    Volunteer Your Time

Let’s be honest here, college is not one nonstop party. You’re going to end up with free time on your hands and while napping is awesome, there are better ways to spend that time. Volunteering gives you the chance to have a sense of accomplishment. You will end up feeling fulfilled, helping out somebody or something in need and who knows maybe you’ll meet a friend who is as caring and giving as you are.

5.    Visit Home

And finally, for those of you who live in close proximity to home, an unexpected visit is the perfect cure for your pain. Your friends and family will totally love having you around for a few days, and you will love being able to sleep in a normal size bed! And you can (politely) ask mom to make that favorite meal of yours- because after that, it is back to ramen and mac ‘n cheese. 

Alana Reid is a first-year student at the University of South Florida and is an International Studies major. Her dreams in life center around eating delicious deserts and traveling the world.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.