photographer at Yosemite National Park
photographer at Yosemite National Park
Lyndsay Brunstetter
Career

5 Tips to Improve Your Photography Skills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Whether you’re a beginner or youve been a photographer for years, there are always ways to improve your craft, whether it be style or techincality. Either way, here are five ways to improve your skills!

Be patient.

Photographing movements such as kids can be a challenge. Just remember to be present. When I first started photographing kids, I would get frustrated because I wanted the perfect poised shot. However, a photographer once told me that the best moments come when you let them be themselves. They make all kinds of unique facial expressions and movements. I know that they won’t stay little forever, so I want to continue to capture those little moments that they can look back on.

Get to know photographers.

I think one of the coolest parts about taking pictures is getting to know other photographers who have the same passion as you do! Join a photography club and connect with other photographers on social media. It doesn’t matter whether they’re beginners or professionals because we can always learn something new. It’s all about how we continue to develop our craft and ourselves.

Read your camera’s manual.

By understanding how your camera works, you will be able to become one with your camera. If you don’t know where to go to find specific settings, you’ll get frustrated shooting. It isn’t fun when you’re so focused on the technical side that you forget why you’re shooting in the first place.

Your camera can do so many things, but you have to do the research first. This will make your photography life a whole lot easier. 

Use a polarizing filter.

This filter has improved my photos a lot. By using a polarizing filter, you will be able to reduce reflections in your images.

Be careful of bright sunlight because it will add a lot of sun flares to your photo. You also don’t want to use it while indoors because it takes a few stops of light away, which can hurt your picture if there’s not enough light to begin with in the room.

Back up your photos.

I think any nightmare for a photographer is when a hard drive or a memory card corrupts. By backing up your photos on different platforms, you will be able to save time and frustration in the long run. Continue to be motivated, inspired, and always have fun! 

My name is Lyndsay Brunstetter. I am compassionate about people, the planet, and paying it forward!
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.