5 Reasons Why Every Collegiette Should Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Between tuition fees rising every year to paying for housing the cost of attending a college or university can be expensive is expensive. To add the cost of spending a year or semester abroad sometimes sounds unthinkable. Many students ask themselves is it really worth it? The answer is yes, here’s why:

1.     Make friends with people from all over the world

Although many college campuses are very diverse how many people can say “Hey this is my friend Cindy from Australia that I actually met in Australia”! Making friends while studying abroad allows you to gain another perspective of a different country and culture you probably wouldn’t get from watching a documentary about it on travel channel. And hey maybe that new friend could potentially become a boyfriend or girlfriend in the future

2.     Resume Booster

Yes, studying abroad is an experience of a lifetime, but it also a great way to plus up your resume and set yourself apart from your peers. In an increasingly globalized world, studying abroad shows employees that you are adaptable and open to experiencing new things.

3.     Food

If you don’t study abroad for any other reason, tasting new foods, new flavors, and ingredients should definably be the reason why. After all, there is more to life than your $5.95 burrito bowl at Chipotle (guac is extra).

4.     Immersion in a new culture

I don’t know about you but experiencing the “study” in studying abroad is actually pretty cool. Getting to learn how another country’s educational system works by taking classes allows you to gain skills and knowledge you might have never gotten. Also adds to those adaptability skills

5.     Becoming Independent

For those of you who struggle with the everyday responsibilities of being an “adult” there is nothing like going to a foreign country and not knowing anyone to really help you overcome those type of challenges. Studying abroad forces you to step outside of your comfort zone and finding creative ways to solve your problems without having to call mommy and daddy and the nearest sight of trouble, unless you’re really in trouble then please call your parents.

Studying abroad may not seem like something feasible for your average college student but, it really is an experience that goes unmatched to many others for so many reasons. With proper planning and the right support system your dream of traveling can too be true

P.S – There are scholarships for everything you just have to be dedicated to look for them.

Sophomore at the University of South Florida. Mass communications major international studies minor. Pop culture lover, avid music listener, extreme lover of food. Living life one day at a time.
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.