This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you’re an avid reader, odds are you’ve been stuck in a reading slump at least once in your life. In other words, you’ve gone through a period where you didn’t read anything at all and you probably felt guilty about it.

If it makes you feel better, you’re not alone. This is a common occurrence amongst readers!

Slumps can be caused by many things. Sometimes, it’s because a certain book just puts you out of the reading mood for the next few months, or you’ve been so busy that you haven’t had time. Regardless of the reason, here are 4 ways to help you start reading again!

Start slow

To someone that’s stuck in a reading slump, finishing an entire book may seem like a daunting task. One way I like to make it less challenging is by splitting it up into smaller goals. For example, sometimes I’ll start with the goal of reading 30 minutes a day or 20 pages a day, and slowly increase that number. This forces me to set aside time for reading, and the more I get into the book, the more interested I’ll be in the plot, and the easier it will be.

Start with a book you’re really excited about

Does anyone else have that one book on their TBR that you’re super excited to start, but you just haven’t gotten to it yet? Maybe it’s farther down on your list, or you fell into a slump before you started it. Start with that book! It’ll make you excited to read, and once you break the ice with that first book, the rest will come easier.

Go to a bookstore or library

Even if you haven’t broken through that slump yet, you can still grab some coffee and go to your favorite library or bookstore–maybe even sit and do homework in a nice, bookish atmosphere. Maybe you can reward yourself by buying a book. Regardless, even being surrounded by books can sometimes spark

Social Media!

This one might seem a little strange at first. You may be thinking: how does social media get me excited about reading? There are many ways you could take inspiration from social media. Exploring BookTok, Bookstagram, etc. can lead you to fellow booklovers. Sometimes, their passion is enough to reignite yours. Or maybe you can find people talking about a book you want to read (watch for spoilers!), and what they have to say about it sparks your interest.

Whether you take my advice or not, just know that there’s no reason to feel guilty if you’re caught in a reading slump. They’re totally normal! And, if you do follow my suggestions, they’re also totally solvable.

Hi everyone! My name is Taylor Arnold, and I'm a junior at USF studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in mass communication. I love painting, reading, traveling, shopping, coffee, and (of course) writing.