4 Ways to Stay Close with a Long-Distance BFF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Going to college can make it hard to stay close with your high school best friend. You’re going to different schools, doing different activities and making tons of new friends, so it’s totally normal to feel distanced from your old friends. And for those of us that are close to graduating college (yay!), we will soon be going through the same harsh reality of not seeing our BFFs every day. So what can you do to keep these friendships alive?

1.   Communicate: Make time to call or text whenever you can to stay informed on your best friend’s life.  Aim for a FaceTime date at least once every two weeks. When too much time passes you begin to feel out of their loop, which can really enhance the feeling that you’re becoming distant.

2.   Make Memories: When you do finally see your long-distance BFF, be sure to do something specific to your friendship. Having some sort of tradition with a long-distance friend can make your already meaningful time together even better by knowing you still have something to bond over.

3.   Be Realistic: As time goes by and life goes on, you may not talk every day like you used to, and that’s okay! The important thing is to talk about this with your BFF. Acknowledge that you’re not talking as much, but let them know that they are still every bit as important to you. If you avoid bringing it up, it can become the elephant in the room and you may distance because of it.

4.   Social Media: It’s everywhere and everyone is on it—make sure your BFF is on yours, too! This is a great way to keep contact during the days or weeks you guys may not talk. Commenting on your BFF’s posts will let them know that you’re still staying interested in their life. You can also post about your long-distance BFF every once in a while! This will let your new friends know more about them while making your BFF feel special, because small gestures can go a long way.

Hiya! My name is Olivia Rakowski (also known as Roving Olivia if you follow me on social media) and I go to USF as an Advertising Major with a certificate of Visuaization and Design. I recently started my own blog (rovingolivia.wordpress.com) and decided to get involved in blogging in other ways like Her Campus. Hope you guys enjoy my posts (-: