This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Listening to music can be great, but nothing will come close to giving you spooky season vibes like some chart-topping true crime and supernatural podcasts. Here are four of my favorites that are guaranteed to leave you feeling spooked, and take it from me, you don’t want to listen at night! 

Atlanta Monster

Hosted by Payne Lindsey, Atlanta Monster is an investigative podcast chronicling the Atlanta Child Murders of the 1980s. Atlanta Monster offers insight into the worries and fears of African American families as black children begin to disappear to never be found or seen alive again. The entire podcast series is completed so no cliff hangers here! You can listen in full on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, iHeart Radio, Stitcher, Google Play and Tune In.

Recommended episode(s): Since Atlanta Monster is an investigative podcast, start on the first episode: “Boogeyman.”

Where to listen: Somewhere quiet so you can hear and experience the full details 

Not Another True Crime Podcast

From Betches Media, Not Another True Crime Podcast (NATCP) reports on infamous solved and unsolved crimes, cults, murders and conspiracy theories. With weekly postings, it is guaranteed to give all you true crime fans just what you’re looking for. This show is dark and graphic at times, but the hosts Sara Levine, Casey Balsham and Danny Murphy add a flare in the midst of negative and often depressing stories. New episodes are released every Monday, and you can listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and on the NATCP page.

Recommended episode(s): “What Happened to Rebecca Zahau?”, “Denver International Airport is Really F*cking Weird,” “Anna Delvey,” “Our Grifter Queen” and “Jodi Arias: A Nice Lady For Being A Crazy Killer” 

When to Listen: Walking to class or cleaning your room

Man In The Window: The Golden State Killer

This investigative podcast dives deep into the hysteria and fear of families, couples, women and children as a dangerous man lurked in the shadows of California. Journalist Paige St. John narrates the podcast while simultaneously investigating each and every detail of the crimes and testimonies by victims. The Golden State Killer was recently caught and arrested, so listening to this podcast is satisfying knowing evil is no longer free. Listen to this horrifying (yet relieving podcast) on Spotify, Luminary and Apple Podcasts. 

Recommended episode(s): Since Man In The Window: The Golden State Killer is an investigative podcast, start with the first episode: “Phantom in the Fog.” 

Invisibilia 

Invisibilia by NPR is a different type of spook; these stories detail everyday people with a hint of horror for its listeners since each episode futures problems could happen to you! The podcast offers Informative insight into the conditions of the human brain and what makes us think, feel, love and live. After you listen to an episode of Invisibilia, you will view the world with a different lens. New episodes are uploaded in seasons, and the most recent episode was released on September 20, 2019. This podcast is available on NPR One, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and on the Invisibilia website. 

Recommended episode(s): “The Profile,” “The End of Empathy,” “Youth Radio Girl Mystery,” “The Prayer,” “Fearless” and “The Secret History of Thoughts”

When to listen: During a long drive or run

I am a young black woman who is passionate about writing nonfiction stories. Creative writing, reading, and binge-watching HBO shows are a few of my hobbies. Currently, I am one of the senior editors for the spring 2020 semester.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.