3 Ways to Boost Your Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and thought that you’re not good enough? Maybe if I was skinnier, maybe if I had thicker eyelashes, or maybe if my hair was longer. Don’t worry; you’re not the only one. I’ve also been plagued by all the maybe’s or the what if’s, but I’m here to give you the tools to battle your insecurities.

1.   Don’t, under any circumstances, compare yourself to what you see on social media. You don’t need to be skinny, have the perfect curves or a perfectly toned body. Hating yourself and even guilt-tripping yourself are terrible methods to learn to love yourself. Instead, those behaviors let negativity rule your life.

If you want to lose some weight, try to think, “I want to lose some weight as a goal to gain self-control,” not “I have to lose weight because I think I’m fat.” A legitimate reason is necessary if you want to achieve what you desire. If you don’t have the right reason, you might convince yourself it’s alright to skip meals or starve yourself. If you want to cut out junk food and sweets, do it because you want to be healthier and because your body deserves the very best.

2.   This is an oft-repeated phrase, but makeup does not define beauty. Don’t wear it because you feel like you have to. Consider makeup an art: it’s about self-expression. If you feel forced to do something, chances are you won’t give it your all, so why bother? You don’t need to stack up on expensive brands because “the rest of your friends have them.” You do you.

Confidence shouldn’t be based on appearances. Sure, taking your time and dressing up for an occasion heightens your self-esteem, but only for a bit. You should work on your inner self if you want to strut confidently wherever.

Appreciate yourself more. Think of the saying, “treat others how you would like to be treated.” How would you like to be treated? Do you treat yourself accordingly? Take a moment, look at yourself in the mirror and compliment yourself. Say it out loud. Make a habit of it and I guarantee you’ll end up with more confidence than ever. 

In the simplest words: I'm always eager to learn more.  I love doing anything with creativity, hence my majors: English and Advertising/Public Relations. It takes a strong voice to reach people, be it to encourage others buy your product or simply develop an audience. My goal is to be the one leading others and driving the business forward.