This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Before every new year you have a chance to sit down and assess how that year went by and what you would like to improve for the upcoming one; however, recent studies show that new year resolutions are a very inefficient method of bringing about change. Most individuals give up within the first three months and revert to past, potentially toxic, patterns.

What can you do this year to make this a wholesome year for yourself?

Photo courtesy of The Guardian Nigeria 

When you think about the goals you have set for yourself this semester, acknowledge that you are human and what you hope to accomplish will either take more than a year, or might take up more time than you have. Instead of creating big vague goals, for example, “I will work out more,” aim to narrow down your objects to specific ones that you can perform such as, “I will take the stairs up to my apartment and at my job.” That way you can feel fulfilled with yourself but also have growing space. Photo courtesy of Squarespace

In addition, recent studies show that achieving goals is more likely when you are self- motivated and do not let others know about your goal. It is always better to create an individual goal that does not depend on others, for example, “since my friend is eating sweets again maybe I should too.” Although it is nice to have a friend to support you through your journey, refrain from leaning on them too much. You can have the same goal as your friend but achieve it at individual levels, otherwise you or your friend may lose motivation if one does better than the other, or it can lead to strain in your relationship.

Photo courtesy of KeltyMentalHealth via YouTube

Be kind to yourself by not forcing too far past your comfort zone. If you set an object that seemed achievable at the time but no longer is within reach, adjust it to better reflect your current circumstance.

As time changes so do you and your conditions. Accepting that you cannot control everything is a much less stressful and prosperous way to work towards your intention. Adjust to your surroundings. Always be faithful to yourself when establishing a goal because treating yourself right is the key to a wholesome, peaceful, and thriving year.

Photo courtesy of Jolene Humphry

I am a 19-year-old student majoring in Psychology and World languages on the Pre-medical track. Writing has been a passion of mine ever since I moved to America eight years ago. My other hobbies include pageantry, I just crowned the new reigning Miss Teen Palm Beach America, and cooking. A fun fact about me is that I speak three languages fluently (Russian, Hebrew, and English) and I am a Wiccan. My background inspires my writing and plays a role in my approaches to certain topics.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.