This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Reading is a year-round activity, but new habits seem to bloom every Spring, and if reading is one you plan on planting, I’m your girl. I’ve gathered some books that you can read this Spring, whether it’s in a meadow or just on your daily commute!

‘Daisy Jones & The Six’ by Taylor Jenkins Reid

With the Amazon Prime series having come out on March 3rd, there is no better time than the present to pick up the TikTok-approved novel! Set in the 1970s, this book follows the fictional band ‘Daisy Jones & The Six’ as they rise to fame, through a unique interview style narrative. You’ll fall in love with the characters and the aesthetic of this rockstar haze, and will be unable to put it down!

‘I’m Glad My Mom Died’ by Jennette McCurdy

If you’re into nonfiction, and even if you aren’t, I will never stop recommending the former Nickelodeon star’s autobiography. Jennette McCurdy talks about what it was like being a child star, yes, but the book focuses much more largely on her relationship with her mother and ultimately, her relationship with herself. Please make sure to look up the trigger warnings before picking this one up, though, as it was a difficult book to get through with many dark themes.

“Opposite of Always” by Justin Reynolds

This book manages to combine ‘Groundhog Day’ and a wholesome romance to create something simply magical. If you’re a sucker for sort of cheesy, groundbreaking, highly visual love stories, you’ll eat this one up. From the moment they meet at a house party, the main characters have incredible chemistry and you’ll be rooting for them more and more with each page turned.

‘A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder’ by Holly Jackson

Now, if you’re a fan of mystery novels, I can’t seem to find anything better than the GGGTM series. That’s right, if you’re a binge reader, this is the first in a series that you can easily devour. For a school project, English teenager Pip Fitz-Amobi decides to investigate the already-solved murder of one of her classmates from the past year, to try and discover the truth. This book will have you rethinking everything!

‘Neverwhere’ by Neil Gaiman

This book is for fantasy fans. Neil Gaiman is a classic author, and he is most known for ‘Coraline’, and while I preferred the movie to that book (I know, I know, not something I should be admitting while writing an article about books), ‘Neverwhere”‘is one of my all-time favorites. It blends the fantastical with the mundane, where an ordinary office worker accidentally finds himself in a parallel version of London, called London Below. There, he has to go on an adventure to find himself back home. Think if ‘The Wizard of Oz’ and ‘Stranger Things had a baby’. Exactly. You’ll love it. 

‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before’ by Jenny Han

With the Netflix movies’ resurgence on TikTok right now, if you haven’t yet read the TATBILB series, now is your chance! This is a fluffy, wholesome, fake dating trope romance book, which will take you back to simpler times. The lightheartedness of this book is perfect for spring, and once you’re done with this series, it’ll be time to read the author’s other hit, ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’. 

‘Bunny’ by Mona Awad

If you want a darker version of ‘Gossip Girl’, where there is a little witchcraft and a lot of confusion, ‘Bunny’ is what you’re looking for. The whole time I was reading this, I was simultaneously confident that I knew exactly what was happening and had no clue what was happening, and in the weirdest way, both were right. There’s not much more I can tell you about this book without spoilers, but I am simply begging you to pick up this book and be warned, you’re going to want to start a mean girls cult by the end of it.

‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ by Margaret Atwood

Now, if you want to start reading classics this spring but you’re not sure where to start, ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ is a great introduction. I think especially in this political climate, everyone and their mother should read the ‘Handmaid’s Tale’, which is a speculative dystopia about a monotheistic dictatorship who use women for their reproductive systems and little else. It is a hard read, yes, but one of my absolute favorites.

‘Wilder Girls’ by Rory Power

Yet another dystopia, ‘Wilder Girls’ is incredible. It’s a queer love story set against the backdrop of an apocalypse, where the air is so toxic that everyone is either dead or disfigured. There is so much sweetness about this book which is incredibly odd, as it is dark and twisted. The characters are super realistic and you’ll be rooting for their escape and survival the whole time. 

‘The Girls I’ve Been’ by Tess Sharpe 

Let’s finish this list off with a banger, shall we? One of the most captivating, high stakes, terrifying, heartwarming reads I can think of. This book has a little bit of everything: action and adventure, friendship, feminism, queer characters, chronically ill characters, hardship. ‘The Girls I’ve Been’, put simply, is about three friends caught in the midst of a bank heist. The main character, Nora, grew up with a con-woman mother, and so throughout her life she has had many different names. With each name, came a different life, and a different lesson. She must manage to get herself and everyone caught in the heist out safely, and she must use what she has learnt from her past to do it. This book is no doubt 10/10, and everyone I have recommended it to has agreed.

Happy reading! Did I forget your favorite Spring read? Comment below with your favorite recommendations. 

Hi there! My name is Ilana, I'm a sophomore at USF, studying elementary education. I am originally from London, and have a service dog! I write about chronic illness, Taylor Swift and some of my other favorite things. Happy reading :)