10 Albums You Have Heard Of, But Haven’t Actually Heard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

1.       Once Soundtrack – Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard

Ok, I would recommend you watch the movie so you could understand the context of each song, BUT if you don’t enjoy musical movies (shame on you), then this is one of the best alternative rock/ballad pieces I’ve ever heard. Songs about falling in love, hateful breakup songs, all accompanied by simple yet wonderful piano and guitar make this album what it is. Perfect. Also, they won an Oscar for the song “Falling Slowly” so… Just saying. BUT WATCH THE MOVIE TOO.

Favorite Song: When Your Minds Made Up

2.       The Bravest Man in the Universe – Bobby Womack

Bobby Womack has been making music since the 70’s, but this is my favorite album he has made in years, which is why I included it on the list. It’s very R&B, neo-soul feel gives it’s lyrics so much more meaning, because you have to dig deeper than its sound to see that he reflects on his heartbreak and how love is gonna lift him up (see what I did there?).

Favorite Song: Please Forgive My Heart

3.       Introducing Joss Stone – Joss Stone

Joss Stone is one of my favorite soul artists to this day; her voice makes her seem both powerful and vulnerable. Plus, Headturner is basically the ultimate lady jam. She is a classic example of wonderful R&B/soul music.

Favorite Song: Put Your Hands on Me

4.       Summertime Shootout – Fabolous

Ok, so I know that this is not an actual album, but the material makes it a mixtape worth of album recognition and praise. Obviously, if you know Fab, you know that his rhymes are matched with killer beats, and everything he spits is real. And if you don’t know Fab, well then there you go. Keeping up with the old school vibe of lyricism but keeping up with the revolution of rap, this is probably his best work since Soul Tape 2 (hint hint)

Favorite Song: For the Summer

5.       Nostalgia Ultra – Frank Ocean

This album is what essentially put Frank Ocean on the underground map. Now, it is very well known because of his amazing work in Channel Orange, but there is so much more to this album than “Swim Good” and “Novacane”. The retro feel and the emotional lyrics of Franks album makes it the perfect mixture of fun and real life experience.

Favorite Song: Electric Feel

6.       Licensed to ill – Beastie Boys

This is definitely old school, but the Beastie Boys were an iconic group in the rise of rap. This album, although sometimes throws off millennials with its loud vocals and composition, there is no doubt that this album should be one of those old school albums that has to be played, bumped in the car, and talked up when randomly played on old school radio stations.

Favorite Song: Paul Revere

7.       Foiled – Blue October

This is a rock album that I have been listening to since I was a little kid. Even though I never understood what it was, it was all about learning to love yourself after a break up and helping someone love after you. It is a very emotional album, so its not your classic rock album. Also, anything else by Blue October is just as good (hint hint)

Favorite Song: Hate me

8.        Healing is Difficult — Sia

Now, we all know Sia for her super power ballads like Chandelier and Elastic Heart, but Healing is Difficult is about exactly what the title says, that healing is difficult. It’s about the pain and things we do in order to get over fear, heartbreak, or anything negative in our lives. Plus, it has Sia’s quirky beats and melodies, and her voice? That should be enough to listen to this album.

Favorite Song: Sober and Unkissed

9.       G I R L – Pharrell

So, we all know Pharrell is pretty much the messiah of great music, and has produced, written, and even featured in some of our favorites. But when he puts out his own album, wow… The instruments, the beats, the mixture of genres and the oddity of his beats and the simple and sexy lyrics makes any album he makes so worth every track.

Favorite Song: Come Get it Bae

10.   Whatever it Takes – Ron Pope

So everyone knows Ron Pope for his passionate and hopeful love songs, but every song on this album explores every facet of love whether it be sad, happy, or passionate. His songwriting is deep and provoking, making this album his golden egg.

Favorite Song: A Drop in the Ocean

Nairobi Bermudez Women and Gender Studies Major
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.