LA: Setting Trends, Breaking Hearts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

LA: Setting trends, breaking hearts
Wave of Hipsters Victim to L.A. Mainstream

A lot can change with time. Especially in L.A.

Given So Cal’s high-strung, hyperactive landscape, you can expect most trends to disappear faster than a pair of marked down Louboutins on a Barney’s sale rack. Time has claimed its fair share of style crazes, dictating the “ins” from the “outs” and the “hots” from the “nots.” If we can’t keep up, we find ourselves slipping behind the curve, falling hopelessly into social obscurity.

Well, that might be a little dramatic.

Essentially, the pickiness and uncertainty of the city drives, creates and recreates strands of mass culture, which is eventually propagated and trickled down to the rest of the country. Look at you L.A., you little trendsetter.

The examples don’t go unnoticed either as the rest of the world is watching attentively. For instance, during the bubblegummy era of Britney, images of buxom bleach blondes, bare midriffs and belly button rings dominated all areas of nationwide public preference—obviously a commodity plucked right out of L.A. Coincidentally, in 2010 that has all been replaced by metallic space garb, glittery leotards and hair bows courtesy of the Hollywood music machinery behind a certain new hot pop star.

But sadly, it can’t and won’t last forever.  Case in point: Ed Hardy. Once at God-like popularity, the demise of Von Dutch Trucker hats, bedazzled cell phones and “Jesus is my Homeboy” tees proves that fads often burnout as quick as they catch fire. At the moment, the one that comes to mind but has me a bit confused is this giant wave of “hipsters” frolicking about L.A., clouding up the already musty atmosphere.

According to Wikipedia, “hipsters” are middle class adults and older teenagers with interests in non-mainstream fashion and culture. With their unwashed hair, cigarette-tarred leather jackets and super skinnies, they’re almost impossible to miss. In itself, this distinctive look has distinguished yet another salient trend to be inducted in L.A. hall-of-fame.

Because of R-Patz, K-Stew, Lindsay and Ke$ha, hipsters might have interest in all things “non-mainstream” but the interest in them has definitely gone in the opposite direction. Flannel sales are up, showering is down and “not caring” is at an all-time-high. For the love of hipsters, brands like L.A.-based American Apparel have plastered company promos with your typical edgy brunette, styled in straight-bangs, messy eyeliner and a pair of thick-rimmed (fake) eyeglasses, while the male model, scruffy and unkempt, gives the camera his best, most effortless “I don’t give a f—” look. Le Deux and Area: Out. Hipster bars and dirty basements: In. The trend is as calculated as they come.

But don’t fret. No need to be heartbroken, dear old hipsters. Naturally, imposters will soon stop wearing hipster-esque fashions from Urban Outfitters, Jared Leto will shave and this captivating city will move on to another fix for the world to get addicted to. The sunny skies will reveal it soon enough. I myself am sensing some really fierce cowboy fashion.

—-

I’m Chris, a L.A. blogger, music publicity intern, journalist and unabashed pop culture nut. Follow along as I pull the veil from Tinseltown and give HerCampus readers the enchanting reality of living the L.A. dream. Pick my brain at agutos@usc.edu.

Bernadette is a simple creature – all she wants out of life is to eat, write, dance and talk. But she hasn’t found a way to do all four at once without getting really bad cramps. Other than talking with her mouth full, Bernadette can be found beach-cruisin’ through the brick paths of the University of Southern California as a junior studying Public Relations. It sounds fancy, but all she really wants to do is write to, talk with and help teenagers until she’s wrinkly and gross. Bernadette is involved in a mess of editorial and social media projects, a former “Freshman 15″ and a current Los Angeles correspondent for Seventeen Magazine, but she’s been journaling, blogging and Dear-Abby-ing since she was 8. This San Francisco native is a lot like her hair – crazy, in-your-face, and full of surprises. www.BernadetteAnat.com