Film Review: Somewhere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

A ferarri whips around a desert race track. Once, again, again, again, again. This emblematic scene sandwiches the content of Sophia Coppola’s new movie, Somewhere (2010), between two metaphoric scenes for the movie itself.

Stephen Dorff plays Johnny Marco, a playboy who lives at the Chateau Marmont and seemingly has everything — including two twin strippers. While the dual strip-tease scenes are alone worth watching the movie, the sensual appeal of the women is tainted as the film progresses.

Marco is clearly unhappy. He seems empty. And the narrative of the film serves to further emphasize this point. In an interview with Nylon Magazine, Sophia Coppola discussed the film as a study of what happens when you “get there.” Famous. Wealthy. Revered. Loved. Admired.

And you’re still empty.

Elle Fanning, who plays Marco’s estranged but beautiful and intelligent daughter, has a break out role in the film, even threatening to outshine her older sister’s talent.

Like many of Sophia’s movies, Somewhere is delightfully understated. It prompts its viewers to re-watch and analyze the film over and over, searching for meaning on the barren landscape of activities which plague Marco’s life.

Many would describe the film as “slice of life,” with seemingly little progression on the ordinary lines of plot and character. In fact, Johnny Marco does not seem to change over the course of the film, as a character. Instead, he represents an enlightened protagonist from the beginning, who must face the world he has made for himself, for better or worse. Marco has seemingly learned the value of money, family, and fame, but now must suffer to come to terms with it all over the course of the film.

My favorite scene is simplistic. Marco is driving and the Hollywood streets around him whizz by. His face is not pensive, not naive. He seems to just exist as the streets around him speed by. Nothing is really clear, but he is going somewhere.
Somewhere.

Does he have a grand realization in this film? It’s up to you, viewer. But he is going. Through the motions. Through life. Through reality. Somewhere.

Merisenda Bills is a senior majoring in Broadcast and Digital Journalism at USC. She is double minoring in Digital Studies and Interactive Media and the Culture of New Technologies. She is also in the Honors in Multimedia Scholarship Program. She has a passion for writing, photography, and all things multimedia and hopes to find a job doing these things when she graduates college. When she's not running around working on a story, she's doing crafty things like crocheting and painting. She lives her life to the fullest without regrets.