Camp America Applications Open!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC (AU) chapter.

Get ready for next year and apply to Camp America! If you’ve never heard of Camp America but what discounted flights and get paid for your hard work then this is definitely the program for you!

You only have to pay for your flights to get you there and back home in Aus and pay a program fee of $770 for first timers and $380 for returners!

So what is it?

Camp America is a nine week adeventure where you live and work in a US summer camp AND you get paid for it!

Camp counsellor jobs start between May and June and run for 9-12 weeks; all camps will complete training before the kids arrive.

“While you’re at camp all of your food and accommodation is taken care of so you have no expenses while you are at camp (unless of course, you want to go on a shopping spree at the local Walmart!). Once camp has ended you’ll be paid pocket money by the camp director and then enjoy a 30 day grace period to travel throughout the US with all those new friends you’ve made!

There are over 100 skills to choose to outline on your application (listed here); so no matter what your skills or experience, there’s a place to use them at camp. Being a camp leader will help you to grow, both professionally and personally, make tonnes of new friends and experience the “real USA”. Being a counselor at a US summer camp looks amazing on your CV; it shows you’re independent enough to work overseas, that you were able to deal with an unfamiliar environment, work within a team and be a leader.And importantly it demonstrates you embracing cultural exchange with the US and its people. Being a Camp Counsellor positions can at times be tough, but it’s an amazing experience you’ll never forget!” – Camp America.

Head to the info session in Brisbane on November 6 and click here to be directed to the site.

Happy Camping!

Jasmin Maastricht is a third year Journalism student at USC, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at USC, as well as being one of the 2013 USC Student Mentor's, freelancing for online publication WeekendNotes and interning for Australia's number one online fashion store, Fashionfile. Her passion is Journalism but besides that, Jasmin has always had a strong interest in fashion and entertainment, completing six weeks of work experience with Noosa 101.3fm Community Radio Station and has had the amazing opportunity of working with Australia's number one teenage lifestyle magazines, DOLLY in April 2011 and again in April 2013 and Girlfriend in February, 2013. She has also scored herself internships with the Sunshine Coast's local newspaper, the Sunshine Coast Daily and with Caboolture News. She has been working with both papers eight months now. She has previously worked with Darby Radcliff with the Her Campus Ole Miss chapter while on exchange in Mississippi as well as working with the M s Observer magazine and has never looked back. Email Jasmin at jasminmaastricht@hercampus.com for any questions or getting involved at Her Campus USC or contact her via social media. HCXO!