Why Spotify Wrapped is the Greatest Gift of the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

To all music lovers, Spotify has blessed us once again. If you have been part of the Spotify community for more than a year, you may be aware of the wonderful gift Spotify bestows upon all users. The “Spotify Wrapped” report is now available to reminisce our music tastes of 2019. Here are the main reasons why Spotify Wrapped is the greatest gift of the season:

1) Relive your year in just a few clicks.

Spotify guides you through the seasons. From last winter at the start of the year, through spring a period to blossom and prepare for the sun, through the good vibes of summer, all the way back to end the year on a cozy note in the fall. Music is a way to heal by serenading oneself. The lives we live are hidden behind what we are choosing to listen to. In a moment we are excited and hopeful, we may blast classics to celebrate. We need some tunes or a podcast to lift us up when we are stressed, some empowerment bops keep us composed. If we are just in a mood and in need of a good cry, there is a mood playlist for the emotion sad. Spotify is our supporter!

2) Return the favor – feedback is free!

Free gifts are the best gifts. I am someone who feels guilty when someone spends money on me, but I believe the thought is what counts. Spotify Wrapped is based on good intentions and has a clear appreciation for its network of users. This small act and way of “giving back” to their customers and listeners, shows their dedication to people as a company. Remember to let Spotify know! Tag them on social media or send an email to return the favor. Show your love and appreciation for a brand that opens minds and doors to everyone.

3) A point of reflection 

Spotify values your membership, and it is shown through the thorough analytics of your interests, with an appealing presentation that serves what we love “on a silver platter.” As aforementioned, the Wrapped album allows avid music listeners to relive the year. Aside from reflecting on how some songs masked our emotions at the time, we can also look back on wanting to improve. 

For example, I have had the same top artist since creating a Spotify account in 2016. From other analytics, I realized that even though I love what I listen to, I want to motivate myself to discover more. Spotify provides many outlets to do so through a Discover Weekly feature, new artists based on genre section, and mood playlists that feature artists of a spectrum of favorability. I am looking forward to developing my music palette with sounds that I resonate with, and become loyal to new artists I find.   

4) Connect with people!

In the Spotify mission statement, the goal of the company is to, “unlock the potential of human creativity”, by giving artists the opportunity to make a living from their art, be supported, and inspire one another. Even as listeners, this same effect results when a gift like Wrapped is received. Music is a part of our emotions and livelihood, at times we want to share that with others so they understand. Even though Spotify announces when the Wrapped feature is “coming soon,” I always know it is released when my friends share. Spotify offers an eye-catching visual that is easy to share with friends and followers. And as a result, we connect with each other. We explore similarities between music tastes, make recommendations to one another, and celebrate the sounds existent in our lives. As much as our personal Spotify Wrapped may be all we need, remember to talk with the people you know about what they love or where you should venture next on Spotify!

My name is Clara Crawford. I am a senior studying public relations and business at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time I like read, paint, and go on adventures to farmers markets with my friends.