Top Makeovers in Movie History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

There is nothing more encouraging (and hopelessly cliché) than a movie plot that follows a tragic character’s transformation from ugly duckling to beautiful swan. Over the past 65 years, countless movies have been produced following this exact premise. Just in case you needed some ~*iNsPiRaTiOn*~ here are the best of the best:

Cinderella (1950)

Cinderella is the OG when it comes to movie makeovers, and she’s also everyone’s favorite princess, (sorry, Ariel).  PSA: If you haven’t seen it yet, the new Cinderella movie is officially in theaters!

My Fair Lady (1964)

As seen most frequently in Blair’s nightmares on Gossip Girl, the beautiful Audrey Hepburn musically transitions from an illiterate pauper to high society socialite. Where can we sign up?

Pretty Woman (1990)

Because who doesn’t wish they could start as a high-end call girl, and end up meeting a rich man who is willing to pay for you to look hot for a week?  Oh, and of course to end up falling in love with him!

She’s All That (1999)

I can’t say I support the fajita hat or the paint-stained overalls, but honestly Laney didn’t need to lose much to look fabulous.  I think all she really did was ditch the chunky frames and get a cute new haircut…but hey it’s a 90s teen movie, so who can judge?

Miss Congeniality (2000)

To all the tomboys out there that thought they never had a chance being in a beauty pageant, this one is for you.  Even after the glam squad, she managed to be “armed and fabulous,” and taught us all the best (and most catchy) lesson in self defense- S.I.N.G!

Princess Diaries (2001)

Still waiting for the day when my long lost grandmother will waltz down my street to tell me that I’m the heir to the family thrown.  “I can’t be a princess! I’m still waiting for normal body parts to arrive!” 

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)

Miracles happen every day.  For Toula, it only took some contact lenses, a perm, and fresh makeup.  The magic didn’t just end there!  She even scored young John Corbett (also known as Aiden on Sex & the city).

Mean Girls (2004)

Not only the most well known movie of our generation, but also the only time that high school girls looked like grown women without raising any eyebrows.  Cady Heron’s transformation from “homeschooled jungle freak” to “cold, shiny, hard plastic,” was life changing for all of us.

Devil Wears Prada (2006)

There’s more to this movie than just high fashion and snide remarks from the Anna Wintour impersonator.  If you missed the underlying life lesson, shame on you… it is one thing to change your style and rise in power, but you must remember to stay true to yourself.

House Bunny (2008)

It’s hard to imagine that the girls of Zeta Alpha Zeta took fashion advice from a person who doesn’t wear clothes for a living.  Don’t judge a book by its cover because Shelley is beautiful to the core and uses her quirky wisdom to save these hopeless chicks.

Marketing major. Beer enthusiast. Lover of sports, adventures, and movies... but first, coffee.