Student Raising Funds for Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is definitely a popular face around campus. If you didn’t know her before, it will be hard to miss her now. Hannah Zawia is a third year pharmacy student with a passion for philanthropy and giving back to the URI community.

Zawia is originally from Providence and her rhody pride runs deep. She is on the executive board for Lambda Kappa Sigma pharmacy sorority, a member of the Student Alumni Association, and a team leader for the 2015 orientation team.

Zawia also serves as the chair for the Student Philanthropy Council. The Student Philanthropy Council was established last year by URI students who aim to raise awareness about the impact philanthropy has on our community. The main objectives of the council is to educate the student-body and encourage the spirit of giving by planning and hosting meaningful awareness and fundraising activities on campus.

The council has marked February as National Student Engagement and Philanthropy Month by rallying students to create awareness and support for the URI Students First Fund. This fund provides financial assistance to students in time of crisis or hardship.

“So, let’s say a URI student has a family member pass away and they don’t have enough money for a flight home, or they live off campus and are having health problems they cannot afford. These students can apply for a grant from the Students First Fund,” Zawia said.

The Student Philanthropy Council has also recently launched the: ‘I Heart URI’ student philanthropy campaign. This campaign encourages students to help their peers while showing their Rhody pride. Last semester alone, the Student Philanthropy Council raised $676, not including recent February intiatives!

Zawia has been a part of the council’s efforts since its establishment last year. She is a prominent figure on campus who works hard to increase awareness about the importance of students helping students and spreading rhody pride. Good luck on the rest of your journey as a pharmacist and philanthropist, Hannah!

Alexia Williams is a member of the Class of 2017 at the University of Rhode Island. She is a Elementary Education and Sociology double major. She loves to eat, pray,and love!