Culture > News

I Went to the Women’s March and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

On January 20th the second annual Women’s March took place globally. I attended the Women’s March at the Rhode Island State House with my significant other and his mother. I spent hours the night before outlining and painting a protest sign that simply stated “I’m With Her” with arrows pointing from the middle of the board to the edges.

I have participated in many events as an activist since middle school, but the march was something I had never experienced.

While finding a place to park we passed by the State House and all I could feel was goosebumps down my arms. Once I finally touched the ground of the lawn, I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I was overwhelmed in the best way as I looked all around me at the hundreds of other activists with their signs.

My group and I walked through the aisle of booths promoting homeless shelters and Planned Parenthood. I stopped to sign petitions and purchase every pin I could.

Eventually we stopped walking and stayed in one spot as we listened to about four speakers. One woman talked about women of color and the constant oppression they face not only in the workplace, but in all aspects of life. Another woman talked about a grassroots foundation called “The Woman Project” which is a Rhode Island non-profit organization that educates and speaks about issues that women face everyday.

As the rally came to a close, I reflected on all of the amazing things I had witnessed. The most touching moments were the ones when I would pass by young boys and girls, holding signs that they handwrote messily. It was powerful for me to see these children being socialized in an environment that promotes equal rights for women.

The day after the rally, someone asked me “what are you even marching for?” I spent a few seconds recollecting my thoughts and six words slipped from my mouth: “to protect my constantly threatened rights.” The march is not meant to enforce ideas that women are better than men. The march is to enforce unity in a time we feel that we are being divided.

Brooke Conneally is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Communications. She spends most of her time playing guitar while singing, pinning projects on Pinterest, cuddling with her cats, and organizing her room.