How To Stand Out in an Interview

This time of year is filled with interviews and new job opportunities. Whether you are applying to grad school or a new job, there will most likely be some sort of interview process. Here are a few tips on how to stand out in your interview.

1. Practice What You Are Going to Say

It is good to have an idea of stories and information about yourself that is relevant to the position. 

Women in an interview

2. Dress Professionally 

It is important to show a sense of professionalism in your outfit choice.

3. Speak Clearly

It is important to think about what you are saying before you begin speaking. A good way to avoid starting with "um" is to repeat the question or simply say "That is a good question."

4. Smile

Be friendly and look happy to be there no matter how long the interview process is. 

women during interview

5. Have Questions Prepared

At the end, most interviewers will ask if you have any questions about them. This is a good thing to have prepared in case you cannot think of one on the spot. It is good to ask a question instead of saying no because it shows your interest in the position.

6. Shake Their Hand

Always shake their hand in the beginning and at the end of the interview, and thank them for their time. This will show how professional and dedicated you are.