jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Scarily Fun Fall Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

The cold weather is creeping up on us and the leaves will soon be orange. That means it is officially “Spooky Season!” Below are a few ideas for some fun ways to waste the days this fall whether it be with your family, friends, or boo. (Get it? Hah! Boo!) 

1) Carve a Pumpkin 

If you really want to spice things up, perhaps go to a pumpkin patch to select your canvas instead of a grocery or hardware store. There are plenty of cutesy local farms, especially around URI, that sell pumpkins. This option can be modified too; if you’re not a fan of pumpkin guts, paint your pumpkin. One year, I made mine look like an eyeball and it was definitely the coolest pumpkin on the block. 

2) Go Apple Picking 

My Instagram feed is already fully-seasoned with orchard picks. I know y’all didn’t actually think you could reach that apple, but it makes for a subtle #belfie. Also, you get a delicious treat out of it. 

3) Get Lost In A Corn Maze

Okay, so maybe don’t actually get lost, but a corn maze is a fun daytime activity for those fall Saturdays where you don’t know what to do and have a bit of time to kill. 

4) Have A Scary Movie Night 

Grab some warm blankets and find your fluffiest fuzzy socks because it’s time for a fun night in! This idea is perfect for when you’re not really feeling doing much. You can order some takeout or make popcorn and hot chocolate. My only advice is: If you’re going to watch horror movies wait for the takeout to get there first so you don’t scream when the deliveryman makes it to your front door  

5) Go To A Haunted House                                                          

As someone who used to work at the #1 haunted house in Massachusetts, I am particularly biased to this option. My tip on this one is to try to go within the first three weeks of October because after that time frame the cold kind of takes the fun out of it.

Hello:) I am a senior kinesiology major at the University of Rhode Island. I am rather involved around campus and usually have my head in a book. I like the color yellow because it's just such a happy color!