The Do’s and Don’ts of Your First Week of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

DO: Keep your door open.

Making friends with your hallmates is step one of building your college network.  Chances are you’re going to need to borrow a vacuum, or a Halloween costume, or Advil on a Sunday Morning.

DON’T: Party like a 300 lb. man.

Barlow Circle will probably be flooded with ambulances during the first week of classes.  Don’t be one of the people getting carried out of your dorm because you drank too much. You have four more years of this.

DO: Get into a routine.

Get some sleep, go to the gym and PLEASE, take a shower. And when you do, don’t forget to wear flip flops.

DON’T: Stay in your room.

There are a TON of events on campus and as lame as a club and organizations fair sounds, you’ll want to take advantage of everything they have to offer. If not to meet some new people, at least get some free stuff.

DO: Go to Homecoming.

Show some school spirit. It’s the only tailgate we have.

DON’T: Pay full price for your textbooks.

Go on Facebook, Chegg, Amazon, Slug, etc. Think of all the Dunkin’ Donuts you can buy with the money you save!

DON’T: Wear crop tops to class.  Just don’t.

DO: Stay organized.

Once you fall behind, it’s going to be very difficult to catch up, and, like you have been told a million times, most professors will not hunt you down and ask you for your homework.  They will fail you.  Put your big girl pants on, you got this.

DON’T: Be afraid to ask for help.

There is a lot of change going on and it isn’t uncommon to get overwhelmed or anxious. Roosevelt Hall is full of professors and counselors who are there to listen and help.

DO: Live up every SINGLE minute of your time here.

Four years goes by way too fast.

URI Her Campus President, Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief! Jersey Girl. Public Relations & Communication Studies double major. Class of 2O17. Usually at the beach, probably petting the closest dog.
Sabrina is a senior at URI studying public relations. She is originally from MA but has found a home in the Ocean State. A peer mentor, sister of Kappa Delta sorority, and HC Campus Correspondent at URI, she loves being involved on campus. If she could describe herself in a few words, she would say she's a driven individual with a huge heart who's obsessed with all things fashion, music, and adventurous.