This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Ever wonder what type of student you are in a lecture? You might be the talker, the texter, the sports freak, the snacker, the gamer or the online shopper.

1. The Talker

Photo by Ben White on Unsplash

DO NOT BE THIS PERSON. Even if you sit next to your BFF and are just dying to tell her something, you still have to be considerate of the 200 other people in the class that might want to hear what the teacher is saying. Not only is it a distraction to other students, but TBH no one cares that you hooked up with Chad from FIJI last weekend and he told you that he has “actual” feelings for you. A quiet whisper will do just fine or talk to your friend after class!

2. The Texter

For those who have Mac laptops, texting in class is easier and more discrete than ever before. If you are going to spend class time on iMessage, just make sure to turn your brightness down! You don’t want everyone in the class to know all about the fight that you and your significant other are having. If you do text in class, SILENCE YOUR DEVICE. Next to dealing with a talker, hearing the notification noise constantly go off is one of THE most annoying things in a lecture.

3. The Sports Freak

Photo by Noah Silliman on Unsplash

This is directed straight at guys. There have been countless times where I have seen guys click off of their notes in class just to check their fantasy sports league. If it’s not fantasy sports that is grabbing their attention, it is watching replays of last night’s game which then leads to them hitting the guy next to them to show them the whole video AGAIN. The most frequent time when the ‘sports freak’ comes out is when it is trading season or a good player is a free-agent. The ‘sports freak’ is the person who could recite the stats of Kyrie Irving but can’t explain that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

4. The Snacker

Creating the perfect schedule that accommodates lunch-time isn’t always possible. Everyone will have to have a mid-class snack at least once in their collegiate careers. ‘Snackers’ should be aware that trying to “quietly” open a bag of pretzels or chips actually ends up being a noisy endeavor! Once the bag is open, the sound of a snacker’s chewing is sure to distract the whole class. However, no one wants their stomach to growl in the middle of a lecture so if you must snack, snack with confidence.

5. The Gamer

Photo by David Grandmougin on Unsplash

You just want to beat your high score, or you made a bet that you would get to a certain amount of points before your friend. Whatever the case may be, this said game has taken over your life to the point that you don’t even pay attention in class anymore. If you are gaming on your laptop the people behind you are most likely cheering you on to beat the level, pissed off because you are distracting them, or mad that you are at a higher level than they are.

6. The Online Shopper

This type of student comes out in full force at the beginning of the semester when books and dorm necessities are in high demand. The ‘online shopper’ also makes a comeback around the holidays. If you are an ‘online shopper’, finding deals online is way more important to you than taking notes on what your professor is saying. Just try to not let the people behind you see you enter your credit card information! 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.