5 Ways to Utilize Your Time Off Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Let’s be real, the upcoming winter break is much needed. Fall semester is always a tough one for me, personally. Coming back from summer vacation and having to get right back into the swing of things is completely overwhelming. At the same time, I never understand how it goes by so quickly. Before you know it, you’re cramming for finals and writing every research paper in the books. That being said, once winter break finally hits, you are ready to head home and just relax. However, winter break can be very long for some people, especially if you are not working while at home. What will you do to fill your time? There are so many things to keep you busy this winter and keep you focused so when you come back for second semester, you are ready to crush it. 

1. Hit The Gym

From personal experience, I can honestly say that during school, I am trying so hard to come up with a fitness routine, however, most of the time it ends up failing. Most of my days are filled with classes, getting assignments done and attending meetings that by the end of my day, I am exhausted. What better time to get back into some sort of workout routine than during winter break? With all of that free time, try and hit the gym a few times a week!

2. Pick Up a Book

Have you been dreaming of a day where you can wake up, make a cup of coffee, and just lay on your couch with a good book in hand? I know I have! With a lot more free time, don’t just use it on binge watching a new Netflix show (although, you definitely should some of the time). There are so many great books out right now, and it is the best way to spend a winter day ‘cozied’ up on your couch.

3. Up Your Resume/ Cover Letter/ LinkedIn Game

Okay, okay, I know. This one is definitely not the most fun thing to do during your free time, but it definitely will help you in the long run. No matter what year in school you are in, you should definitely have a resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn made. If not, start there! If you do, read up about how you can revamp your stuff. Being a senior, I know this is my number one thing on my to do list for this winter. There are so many tools out there to help you build all of this, so use them! If you don’t have a LinkedIn made already, make one. It will help you in the long run!

4. Try Some New Recipes 

Spend some time in your kitchen coming up with new recipes! If you are anything like me, I usually get most of my meal ideas online or from my roommates (okay, most always my roommates). I am most definitely not the best cook, but hey, at least I try! Sick of eating the same meal everyday? This is the perfect time to try some new stuff, and work on your cooking skills.

5. Get Outdoors

Although the temperature at this point has dropped, that doesn’t mean you should hide out inside all day! Get outside and enjoy the winter weather. It really is such a pretty time of year. Gather some friends up and go for a hike, go skiing/snowboarding or maybe try something new like snowshoeing!

Senior at URI with a major in Journalism and a minor in Public Relations. Shannon studied abroad in the fall of 2016 in London, UK. While in London, Shannon interned at Time and Leisure Magazine where she wrote and edited for the publication.