The 5 Best Restaurants To Satisfy Your Taco Craving

Do you ever find yourself craving a taco? Because I do at least once a week. After three years of being an undergraduate student at the University of Rhode Island, I have scoped out the five best restaurants that have exceptional tasting tacos. The five best restaurants below are in the order of closest to farthest from campus, one being the closest and five being the farthest. 

1. Caliente Mexican Grill

A mere five minute walk from the Memorial Union. If you are in dire need of a taco, you are in luck. Located in the emporium at 99 Fortin Road, Caliente offers two selections of tacos: street tacos and old school tacos. The street tacos are my go-to. I always order two soft corn tortillas with guacamole, pickled onions, salsa verde, cilantro and a lime wedge. The best part about Caliente is that you get to choose between pork, chicken, steak, ground beef veggies or rice and beans. The old school tacos are a close runner-up. You get two soft flour or crunchy corn tortillas with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, cheese and your choice of protein. Whichever taco you decide on, you get it for only $6.79!

2. Moe’s Southwest Grill

A ten minute drive from campus, Moe’s Southwest Grill is located at 600 Kingstown Road in downtown Wakefield. The best thing about Moe’s is that your taco wish is their command. With a wave of a wand, or your finger, you can choose from a wide selection of fresh ingredients to put into your taco and customize it the way you want. 

3. El Fuego Mexican Grill

If I am not at home or on campus for classes, you can find me at El Fuego. Located at 344 Main Street in downtown Wakefield as well, Moe’s has some close competition. El Fuego has seven different kinds of tacos to choose from (I wish I could list them all in great detail but it would take too long). Each taco is made with love and tastes like heaven. If you need another reason to go, they also sell churros!

4. Chipotle Mexican Grill

Roughly 30 minutes away from campus, Chipotle is worth the trip. Not only can you customize your own taco, but you can also get queso now. Like Moe’s, Chipotle lets you choose what ingredients go into your taco so there is no funny business. If you have never tried Chipotle, it is life changing. But if you are like me and have eaten there 200 plus times, it's comforting and always delicious.

5. Diego’s Mexican Grill

Are you having a boring Saturday and also want a taco? Boy, do I have the place for you. Diego's is 20 minutes from campus in beautiful Newport, so you get the best of both worlds with a view of the harbor and an unbelievable meal. Korean BBQ tacos, fried chicken tacos and Diego’s famous loaded fish tacos, this restaurant has an incredible and creative selection to choose from. Every meal except for brunch serves tacos, so stop in for lunch and dinner!