23 Daily Struggles of a URI Commuter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Although Rhody has a special place in all of our hearts, we have to admit, being a commuter is, shall I say, less than perfect.

1. The awkward amount of time you spend in your car because you had to give yourself at least 20 minutes to find a parking spot.

2. Lurking in the parking lot to take someone’s spot before they even have the chance to pull out.

3. Getting your car towed from the ice rink lot because residents park in the commuter lot. (And park poorly at that)

4. The power move to take a car nap during the gap between your classes. You know, to avoid wasting all that gas to drive home just to head back to school.

5. Because heading back to the dorms for naps aren’t a thing anymore.

6. When you’re relying on the RIPTA to actually be on time.

7. When your professor cancels class via whiteboard in the classroom.

8. The fall/spring temperature difference from the artic abyss of your 8am to the heat stroke of your 12 o’clock class.

9. Having to sneak into the dining hall or have someone swipe you in because you already used your commuter meals.

10. Not doing your homework because you’re banking on a snow day, but then you still have class.

11. Not being able to stumble across the quad for Izone anymore.

12. Actually getting your security deposit back is like striking gold.

13. Having to drive home if you want wifi to actually work.

14. Road construction is always conveniently on the most popular roads to campus.

15. The light at Bridgetown road coming from Bonnet.. Enough said.

16. The new traffic pattern on 108 making it one lane by Rhody Joe’s .. WHY?!?!?!

17. Going to get food at the emporium and having an anxiety attack the whole time hoping your car isn’t going to be towed.

18. Waking up late and hung over from Omist, Wheelhouse, or Bonvue and hitting every red light on your struggle bus ride to campus.

19. Struggling through No Heat November.

20. Driving all the way to the gym to find out its crowded AF, but don’t worry, you can still get leg day in just walking up the hill, I mean campus.

21. Trying not to skip class when the weather’s nice, but the beach is a minute drive and campus is 20.

22. “No Pets Allowed” … Riiiiiiiiight..

23. Deciding what’s worse, the dreaded orange sticker, or the $500 fine per person that comes with it.

URI Class of 2016. Health promotion major, Kinesiology minor, from Massachusetts. Sub-par lacrosse player, expert pizza eater. I'm probably obsessed with your dog. Follow me on Instagram: @tamelesss or Twitter: @tameless