12 Reasons Why Having a Brother Is Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

When you think about your brother, the first thing that comes to mind is probably him being an annoying jackass. But as we grow up, we learn to appreciate him a lot more. Here are some reasons why having a brother is actually the best:

1. He’ll always protect you.

Whether it’s from creepy dudes, your parents when they’re acting crazy, or a random stranger, he’ll always have your back.

2. You get to meet his hot friends.

Even though he’ll most likely cut off all possible communication between you and his boys, they’re still nice to look at.

3. He’s an idiot… but so are you.

He’s the perfect companion to do stupid things with. Whether it’s building forts, having food fights, or shaving the neighbors cat, he’s dedicated to completing the task, no matter how ridiculous.

4. PRANK WARS

Not only will you do stupid things together, but you will also devise plans to piss each other off because hey, that’s what brothers and sisters do.

5. He always tell it like it is. Always.

He’s your biggest fashion critic even though he doesn’t know the difference between salmon, coral and pink. Yes, there is a difference, bro. He’ll also tell you that your crush probably isn’t the dude for you…and you’ll probably roll your eyes and disregard everything he says only to find out he was right three months later.

6. He takes the blame.

Most of the time your parents will blame him instead of you just because #GirlPower (and because he’s the #best). 

7. He teaches you about sports.

You’ll thank him when you win over your crush because you know the difference between a goal and a touchdown.

8. He plays videogames with you.

Who doesn’t love a game (or five) of Beerio Kart?

9. He teaches you to roll with the punches…literally.

Let’s be real…are you really siblings if you haven’t gotten into a brawl or two?

10. He prepares you for when “boys will be boys.”

You learn to deal with all the bull of the male species, but you’ll still never understand it.

11. SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS!

Boys love taking shots…but he’ll probably make you pay because you’re not his date, and he’s probably broke.

12. He’s the yin to your yang.

As different as you two are, you compliment each other. You keep each other sane by driving each other insane.

The bottom line is, as much as you can’t live with him, you most definitely can’t live without him.

Here are what some URI girls have to say about their brothers:

“The best thing about having a brother is that he won’t steal your clothes.” -Jackie Rowell ’17

“The best thing about having a brother is knowing that you always have someone looking out for you.” -Jasmine Aldona ’17

“The best things about having a brother is that he always makes me laugh without trying, he’s protective even when he doesn’t show it, and he’s someone I look up to even though he doesn’t know it.” -Ali Mehring ’17 

Kristina Spinelli is a Junior at the University of Rhode Island. She is double-majoring in Health Studies and English Literature. She has a passion for photography and loves to read and write as well.