You Survived Your First Two Weeks of College, So What’s Next?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Last week was your 3rd WEEK OF COLLEGE! And it was full of excitement, getting used to new people, schedules and professors, and rain… lots and lots of rain! So… now what? Here are some tips that are sure to help you maintain your sanity throughout your first year as a collegiate!

1. Keep that Calendar/Agenda up to Date!

Don’t let that baby out of your sight! Keep it organized and write down every little thing you have to do. This will help you remember that homework you didn’t write down because you “wouldn’t forget.” Let’s be real: you’re gonna forget, so to the agenda it goes!

2. Create a Weekly Budget

Creating a limit to the amount of money you can spend weekly may be tough. But, progressively you’ll be surprised by the amount of money you’ve saved!

3. Meal Preparation is Key!

With the craziness that’s going on with the economic status of the University of Puerto Rico, we can’t afford to spend more than $20 weekly on food. Create a meal plan that’s going to allow you to save money on food and eat healthier while not blowing up your weekly budget.

4. Make Time for Yourself

It’s extremely important to take care of our minds and bodies, so don’t categorize your relationship with yourself as a secondary item in your priority list. Be sure to always disconnect from the craziness college often offers you. Meditate, read a book for pleasure, watch a movie, or just go out for a walk. But ultimately, make sure you always have that “me time.”

5. Remember to Say NO!

It’s okay to miss out a jangueo to study for that big test. Learn to say NO to those activities that aren’t going to help you in the long run. And always remember that it’s completely okay  to say NO!

6. Appreciate the Perks of Being a Prepa/Freshmen!

Once you get to your second and third year of college, you realize that being a freshman wasn’t so hard. You start to miss those regular courses where you didn’t have to spend sleepless night studying for. And all the time you had in your hands that you once thought it wasn’t enough. Yes, college is hard, and your first year may be the easiest, so enjoy it while you can!

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez! Remember, the sky is no longer the limit.   
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.