What’s Next for Women Leaders: UPRAA’s Celebration of Boricua Women in STEM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Washington, D.C.—On March 9, as part of a celebration of International Women’s History Month, the Association of University of Puerto Rico Alumni and Friends Abroad (UPRAA) hosted a panel discussion about female leaders in STEM careers, among them two Colegio alumnae, Dr. Yajaira Sierra Sastre and Dr. Lisandra Garay, and Dr. Larissa Avilés-Santa, MD.

As the posh facilities of the Microsoft Innovation & Policy Center began to flood with the enthusiastic chatter of UPRAA members, old friends and colleagues, and a sensational springtime sunset, so began the panel discussion moderated by Dr. Frances Colón, a member of UPRAA’s board of directors. In the hour that followed, the four leaders discussed their challenges as STEM researches and offered their insight to future generations of female scientists and engineers.

From left to right: moderator Dr. Frances Colón, Dr. Lisandra Garay, Dr. Larissa Avilés-Santa, and Dr. Yajaira Sierra Sastre. Image credit: Cristina Bartolomei

According to research published by UPRAA, women occupy less than a quarter of STEM jobs in the US despite holding almost half of all the jobs in the U.S. Even more alarming is the figure of Latinos in STEM—a meager seven percent.  All things considered, the three scientists agreed that the issue lays in the lack of visibility of women scientists.Yajaira Sierra Sastre, a nanotechnologist and alumna of NASA’s HI-SEAS program, firmly believes that effective community-based STEM education can help inspire and motivate future generations of Latinos to pursue scientific careers. “Knowledge transforms attitudes and transforms minds,” she ascertained. “We need more Latinos in the STEM fields to transform lives and communities.” Dr. Sierra Sastre, a former high school Chemistry teacher, actively participates in educational outreach and mentorship during her spare time.

Dr. Yajaira Sierra Sastre, an alumna of UPRM’s Chemistry program and teaching certification, hopes to becomes the first Puerto Rican woman astronaut. Image credit: Cristina Bartolomei

On the other hand, Dr. Larissa Avilés-Santa—a medical doctor and expert in diabetes and cardiovascular disease—pointed to the lack of support for young women in STEM fields. “Women have the same intellectual capacity, and desire [as men] to be successful in this field.” She continued, “What we need is more role models, people to show us the way.”

Dr. Lisandra Garay, engineer and a project manager at the National Transportation Safety Board, echoed Dr. Avilés-Santa and questioned why women often don’t speak up “at the table.” As for her advice for up-and-coming female scientists: “Be out front, be out there and claim your space.”

UPRAA is a non-profit organization which represents alumni and friends of the UPR educational system residing in the mainland US. Image credit: UPRAA

If you wish to watch the entire panel, click here

Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.
Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.