This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

More than once I have found myself thinking what I would have done differently if I knew the importance of freshman year, which is why I compiled a few lessons colegiales have learned the hard way. Here they are: 

1. The key being successful in college is balance! You need to find how to balance studies, exercise, family and hangouts. Learn that they’re all important to have a healthy lifestyle. – Mónica Abreu, Biology Graduate
  2. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Very few people actually have a clear idea of what they want to do after they graduate, so don’t stress out. Don’t be so hard on yourself if you *thought* you had a clear idea of what you wanted but turns out you hate your major, for example. Don’t feel overwhelmed if you were a big fish in a small pond and now see yourself surrounded by sharks: you’ll find your place and rhythm. – Claudia Irizarry, English Major
  3. Sometimes you have to take a step backward in order to move forward.  I waited too long to change majors because it felt like I was giving up but when I finally had the courage to do it, I felt like I had finally found my place and was able to really take advantage and appreciate the beautiful learning experience that college is supposed to be. -Teresa Hernandez, Computer Information Systems Graduate 
  4. I wish I knew the importance of networking and building strong bonds with people from my field. From professors to other students, some of these people genuinely want to share their knowledge and help people succeed.  – Mónica B. Ocasio, Comparative Literature Graduate 
  5. Everyone is on the same boat; don’t be too afraid to do something because these four years will fly by. Change is good, accept it and you will grow as a person, have unforgettable experiences. Take advantage of these college years, sácale el jugo, get to know new people, go out because, believe me, time flies by (trans).   -Aurelie Arnould, Social Sciences Graduate  
  6. Get A’s on those easy classes. Don’t conform to B’s and C’s because people tell you that el Colegio is hard. Think of those medals and recognitions since day one (trans). -Nohely Miranda, Physics Graduate 
  7. Balance is key, there’s time for everything, college is the longest vacation of your life and it’s not all about studying, you can party, sleep, and make friends too. Get out of your comfort zone and try new things.  -Andrea Vega, Psychology Graduate 
  8. Take advantage of the different disciplines el Colegio has to offer, diversify your classes as much as you can! Get A’s on all the general classes because you will regret it if you don’t. Apply for internships and REU’s (for the scientist) as early as second year. Don’t be ashamed of asking for things at the University and be clever; study hard all week so you can party on Thursdays (trans). – Bryan Rodríguez, Geology Major
  9. I’d tell myself to go with my gut more than anything. To not miss a single chance at anything fun. To rebel. To listen to my inside voice more than any other, but to remember the people who have shown to care and love me. To love with no limits and to never suppress any passion driven action. – Pablo Torres, Philosophy Major

Olivieri is a Puerto Rican entrepreneur who craves knowledge and has a passion for writing. Currently trying to unravel the world's mysteries by majoring in physics.