We Need To Talk About Puerto Rico: Presencias’ Showing of the Documentary ‘The Last Colony’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

On the October 15, Presencias held an event dedicated to watching the thought-provoking documentary The Last Colony by two-time Emmy winner Juan Agustín Márquez at the Figueroa Chapel amphitheater.

By 6:00pm, the amphitheater was full with anticipated students, faculty, and event-goers who were anxious to see the well-awaited documentary on Puerto Rico’s political situation. This documentary exposes an opportunity to reflect on the political situation in Puerto Rico, and many of its attendees were patiently waiting for the critically-acclaimed documentary to begin.

In the documentary, Dr. Ángel Collado-Schwarz, stated how “Puerto Rico was a colony for 400 years on the Spanish rule and since 1898, when the United States invaded Puerto Rico as part of the Spanish-American War”, we became a U.S.A. colony.”

Photo credit: Presencias UPRM

The documentary organized the three political parties in the island in a well and professional matter and conducted interviews on politicians from each party. It also held a panel conducted by three UPRM professor’s Edwin Irizarry Mora from the Economics department, Jorge Schmidt from the Political Sciences program, and Mario Cancel from the History program. The professors discussed their own views of the documentary and in an indirect way decided what their favorite political parties were. They interpreted the documentary in their own way as the audience members asked them questions. The night closed with strong, honest opinions and with a stimulating sense of self and of Puerto Rico’s political limbo.

Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.
Her Campus at UPRM