Life > Experiences

Ways to Acquire Knowledge and Experience this Summer without an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Summer is the perfect time to explore new interests and gain new experiences, but it also is a time when one can face the big question: What will I do this year? An internship is the perfect option to gain knowledge and expertise; however, it is not the only one!

If, for whatever reason, you weren’t able to get an internship this summer or just didn’t want one, you’re probably feeling like you are wasting time that could have been for gaining academic potential. But this is not true; there is so much that you can still learn and get experience on!

There are a bunch of things you can do on your own to gain experience. So here is a list of a few different things that you can do depending on what you are looking for and can do at the moment:

1. Read books:  Reading is one of the best ways to expand knowledge and explore new ideas. You can read about almost everything. Pick up a book about something you have always wanted to learn. It can be related to your major or anything you are interested in. Here are some great book suggestions by Penguin Random House. 

2. Take a free course: Technology has enabled learning to be fully remote. Taking a course on a topic you are interested in is great, especially if it is free! You can find many free classes with a quick Google search depending on your interest. Here are some free courses offered by Harvard University. 

3. Start a hobby: Starting a new hobby is a great way to learn new skills and develop your interests. You can learn to paint, play an instrument, learn a new language, or any skill that will be valuable for your career or personal life.

4. Attend local events: Many events are happening during the summer, such as music festivals, cultural fairs, and sports tournaments. Attending these events is a great way to learn about different cultures, topics, and connect with new people. Sometimes finding these events can be challenging, but be on the lookout for them on social media or ask friends if they know about any. 

5. Join a club or organization: Joining a club or organization is a great way to meet new people and learn new skills. You can join a book club, sports team, or community organization.

6. Volunteer: Volunteering allows you to make a positive impact on the lives of others. You can help those in need and make a real difference in your community. It can be a fun and enjoyable way to spend your summer. You can work on projects that interest you and make a positive impact at the same time.

7. Attend a conference: Conferences are a great way to learn about new trends and technologies in your field of interest. You can attend a tech conference, marketing summit, or educational seminar.

8. Watch documentaries and films: Watching a movie or a documentary is usually a comfortable and relaxing experience you can enjoy in your own room. Watch something related to your major, or that will teach you about the world. Here are some educational documentaries suggestions by Form Nutrition that you can check out and some movie suggestions by the University of the People.

9. Create a website or portfolio: An academic or professional portfolio is a great help and backup when applying for a job. Use this time to create a simple yet important portfolio of your experiences, achievements, and projects.

10.  Go after a goal or dream: You might have a personal or specific goal that you have wanted to work towards for a long time, but because of the workload or stress of the semester, you might haven’t been able to do so. This is the perfect time to work on them. Whether that is starting a small business, a youtube channel, a photography account, or taking singing lessons, you name it. This is the moment to do so.

At the end of the day, the important thing is for you to enjoy your Summer break. Do what works best for you, even if that looks like just resting and having fun. But also know that if you want to gain knowledge and expertise for your professional or academic future, you can do many things aside from an internship!

Valeria Martinez is a senior writer at Her Campus UPRM. This is her fourth year on Her Campus. She focuses on writing about popular culture, social issues, and mental health. She also completed an internship with Her Campus Media. Beyond Her Campus, Valeria is a Digital Marketing intern for Puerto Rico Wire Group. She also interned for the non-profit organization Thirst Project, managing their socials and creating content for them. One of her poems is to be published in Sabanas Bilingual Magazine. She currently works as a Digital Marketing intern. Valeria is an English Literature undergraduate student also doing a minor in Writing and Communications at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. In her free time, Valeria loves going to the beach, reading, the movies, and cafe hopping. She is also a musical enthusiast and theatre kid who can't go out most of the time because "she's got practice." Her ultimate goal is to become a Journalist focusing on Latin Communities. She plans to move to NYC to Graduate School at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York next year.