UPRM’S Dance Team Shines at UDA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

For the last few years, the UPRM Dance Team and the Cheer Team have traveled to Orlando, Florida to represent Colegio at the Universal Dance Association competitions. It’s evident that not only is this experience enriching for the dancers because of the exposure and things they witness, but how it is a gift for the athletes. UDA and UCA (Universal Cheerleaders Association) are two competitions with strict rules paired with the chance to make your team shine brighter than diamonds. UPRM is not the only Puerto Rican university to make the leap: UPR-Carolina, Bayamón, la IUPI, and Sagrado Corazón have stepped up to the challenge year after year. This year, the Dance Team went to UDA with new members, new choreography and one goal: to win. The captains of the UPRM Dance Team sat down with Her Campus UPRM to talk about their experience at UDA and UCA.

How was the first time you traveled to UDA?

Enrique: Our first time in UDA was something completely exciting. It was the first time that the team had the opportunity to travel to such a big competition and so the nerves and anxiousness showed in the whole team. It was a very enriching experience for us to see those big teams from different parts of the world and see their preparation in the varying divisions and categories on which they were absolutely prepared to compete in. Without a doubt we didn’t want to leave, but we left full of enthusiasm and with many new things to apply to our team to continue making it grow.

Natacha: It was an experience that challenged us in every aspect, both academically and artistically. The process of preparation was arduous. The rehearsals many times were tough and we had to develop strategies in order to be able to do our academic work and rehearsals as well. They were months spent fighting to finally go on that airplane. Finally when we made it, it was extremely exciting and satisfactory. We managed to have the experience of competing against the best universities of United States and also against other countries in the global competitions. Definitely one of the best collegiette experience that we as dancers and students have. It’s not just about competing: it’s sharing with other students and supporting each other, win or lose.

How different is the team now compared to that first time?

Enrique: We’re an entirely different team than the one we were exactly two years ago. We’ve improved our synchronicity, the group technique and choreographic execution. If we compare videos from that year when we started, to now, we would see a completely notable change in what we were before and what we truly are now. We can confidently say that we have a well-formed team.

Natacha: Very different! As the last team member left since the dance team started again in 2012, I can say that I’ve experimented the different phases of the team. I’ve been able to see how each year the team grows in talent, dedication and discipline. It’s a privilege having been able to see the growth of our coach since 2012. He’s been the key in all the team’s triumphs. The first time we went to UDA we went with certain expectations but with a basic knowledge from what we’ve seen in videos. But having that experience prepared us for that second place in the 2015 Justas. Then the second time we went to UDA we had complete focus and totally prepared. The team grew significantly thanks to that last UDA experience and it showed in the 2016 Justas. The team has undoubtedly changed: we’re more focused and have a stronger desire to win.

Which competition is more challenging?

Enrique: Without a doubt, the competition of the University Athletic League of Puerto Rico (LAI in Spanish) is more challenging for us because here is we make ourselves seen and let everybody know what we’re capable of, which requires a more arduous preparation. Although, for UDA, we have to prepare just as well and with a stunning choreography to leave the impression that Puerto Rico was there participating.

Natacha: Overall, UDA, because we compete against dancers from universities with academies renown for their techniques and teachers. But our focus has always been the Justas because we compete with our partners of the universities in Puerto Rico. There is more pressure from the audience that expects so much from us but there is also more “ganas de ganar.”

How does UDA help the team prepare for Justas?

Enrique: We use the competition in the U.S. as a preparation strategy for the Justas competition, because we have many judges from different countries who evaluate our choreography from distinct points of view through which each one exposes his or her opinion on the execution. They emphasize which parts need to improve and which we are already well-prepared. They don’t only evaluate the weaknesses, but they also point out the good qualities in the choreography. Seeing other teams also helps us, in a certain way, visualize ourselves and evaluate the things we could adopt to make our team look and be better.

Natacha: UDA hasn’t just been a platform for knowledge and preparation for those two minutes and 59 seconds. It has prepared us mentally and physically before, during and after the competition. It has helped us adopt work out and warm-up routines as well as healthier eating habits. It has taught us the importance of having each step impeccable when the time to execute came. We’ve also learned the importance of having a good floor, and making lifts and movements secure and not as difficult so that they don’t pose a risk to the dancer doing them. But the most important thing UDA has taught us is the ethics and security that we have as dancers of being transparent and supporting other teams that do the same efforts as us.

What awaits in January after UDA?

Enrique: In January awaits an even bigger challenge because we have to maintain the level UPRM Dance Team has and elevate it even further. Every year, we aspire to surpass the past year’s choreography and up until now, we’ve managed to do that always. We focus on giving the public a good impression and that they always remember UPRM as one of the best teams, if not the best, that the Puerto Rican universities have.

Natacha: A couple of days of rest, I hope, haha, and then start the preparation for Justas.

Emollie: Make it more dramatic! We’ll have a week’s rest to then begin seven days a week with long rehearsals for Justas.

What has been the biggest triumph the Dance Team has had in UDA?

Enrique: Our biggest achievement has been in Justas keeping the team twice in a row winning the silver medal. Bu,t in UDA , in the global competitions we’ve obtained third and fourth place in the Hip-Hop category and eleventh place in Double Pom. The achievements have mainly been personal for each one of us because we’ve grown in our dancing in various aspects. We’ll surely carry this experience for the rest of our lives as one of the most enriching for our careers as dancers.

Natacha: Aside from the medals, the experience we take from the competitions is, in fact, the greatest achievement as dancers. The UPRM Dance Team walked away from the two days of competition recharged with a lot of energy and ideas to take over the stage at Justas. Dancing on the same stage as teams from all over the world was quite the enriching experience for the rookie UPRM members. It’s fair to say that the Puerto Rican teams quite took over the competition, because Bayamón, Carolina (on its first year), and Río Piedras, as well as Puerto Rico, won many medals and trophies. Colegio’s audience that watched our Dance Team’s performance on social media were all impressed and not even a week later, rehearsals for Justas will start. It’s a sure thing to say that “you ain’t seen nothing yet.”

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.